Joe B.

Default Toilet question?

One of our toilets never seems to flush properly. I have checked and there
is plenty of water in the reservoir. As I flush it empties out like it is
supposed to and then refills properly, but the water in the bowl just swirls
around and takes only have of the contents when it goes down. Although
sometimes it swirls around and then flushes pretty well. Does this sound
like a drain problem?
Thanks.

Joe

Harry Everhart

In article ,
"Joe B." wrote:
One of our toilets never seems to flush properly. I have checked and there
is plenty of water in the reservoir. As I flush it empties out like it is
supposed to and then refills properly, but the water in the bowl just swirls
around and takes only have of the contents when it goes down. Although
sometimes it swirls around and then flushes pretty well. Does this sound
like a drain problem?
Thanks.
Joe

Hi Joe -

Yes I think you have a drain problem.

I have a cheap and easy fix that works for my drains. I bought a device
that goes onto the end of your garden hose. When you turn the hose water
on - this device blows up like a balloon. It reminds me of the
angioplasty they use to unblock arteries in your body :-) I got it at
Ace Hardware - but it is available at many stores.

I go up on the roof and find the roof vent pipe for the device in
question. I drop the hose with the "angioplasty device" on and turn on
the water. The balloon blocks the water from coming out the back way and
it seems to clean the drainage pipes. It works great for me.

I bought this 20 year old house about one year ago. The drains were too
slow for my tastes. I went up on the roof and blasted each roof vent
pipe. My drains are much faster now and have not caused a problem since.

It might not work for you - but it is worth a try - a cheap fix.

Harry
Speedy Jim

Joe B. wrote:

One of our toilets never seems to flush properly. I have checked and there
is plenty of water in the reservoir. As I flush it empties out like it is
supposed to and then refills properly, but the water in the bowl just swirls
around and takes only have of the contents when it goes down. Although
sometimes it swirls around and then flushes pretty well. Does this sound
like a drain problem?
Thanks.

Joe

Here's how to find out:

Get several buckets of water.
Rapidly dump them into the bowl.
If the water goes right down, it is *not*
a drain problem or a vent problem.

Most commonly, the "siphon jet" (3/4" hole
in front of bowl) is clogged or the rim jets
are partly clogged.

http://www.toiletology.com/index.shtml

Jim
thranjax

not sure maybe need to look at your plumbing. try
http://www.warmup.me.uk for a good range of plumbing

Harry Everhart wrote:
In article ,
"Joe B." wrote:
[...]

It's called a blow bag

SteveB

"Joe B." wrote in message
One of our toilets never seems to flush properly. I have checked and
there is plenty of water in the reservoir. As I flush it empties out like
it is supposed to and then refills properly, but the water in the bowl
just swirls around and takes only have of the contents when it goes down.
Although sometimes it swirls around and then flushes pretty well. Does
this sound like a drain problem?
Thanks.

Joe

Try this:

Take the top off the tank, so you can watch what's going on. Flush the
toilet, but hold down the handle until all the water has left the tank. If
it works, there's yer problem. Either not enough water in the tank, or the
flapper needs adjustment. The new kits come with an adjustable flapper that
regulates when the flopper flops down on the hole. The old ones don't have
this. You can get a total rebuild kit for $20 from Homer's and they ain't
rocket surgery to install. BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVERTIGHTEN. If it leaks a
bit, then tighten a quarter turn and try again.

Second, if your toilet flushes when you hold down the handle, but not when
you do it regularly, try increasing the water level in your tank by
adjusting the mechanism. This will put more water on top of the load,
pushing on it more.

I had a RotoRooter guy come out and charge me $50 when mine was doing the
same thing. He said I needed a new toilet. I put in the new adjustable
flapper, and set the water level high, and the thing works first time every
time now. A lot cheaper than a new toilet. I couldn't figure for the life
of me how a toilet wears out .............

Not saying you might have blockage, but this is the cheapest easiest way to
try to fix it.

The things you put in there and blow up like an angioplasty baloon are okay,
but if you have a vent in that line, you might just blow poop out and all
over your roof if not careful. You start putting water in there under
pressure and it will take the path of least resistance, and that is a vent
pipe.

HTH, and let me know if it works for you like it worked for me.

Steve

Beeper

My toilet flapper has a piece of cork like material attached on the chain.
It is to hold the flapper open for so long during the flush. The clips that
hold it in place came off and the cork floated higher on the chain, which
let the flapper close too early. I put the cork lower on the
chain,refastened with clips and toilet flushes fine now.
Don't know if this is your problem but doesn't hurt to check.