G. Grant

Default Miter versus Chop Saw

Can I use my 10" compound miter saw to cut ferrous metal? Abrasive chop saw
wheels have the same arbor size (5/8") and similar speeds (3900 - 5000 rpm).
My saw is rated at 15 amps and runs 4800 rpm. If not, please explain why.
Thanks!

calhoun

I have an old miter box I use just for metal. It is fine for smaller pieces
but not as good as a chop saw for bigger stuff. Seems a chop saw has more
torque and won't bog down as much. Maybe the gearing is different.
If you have a lot of work to do, it is no substitute for the real thing. It
will work for the occasional cuts. Clean up your wood saw well before using.
I caught my blade guard on fire the first time I used it. The resin residue
had accumulated on the inside of the plastic guard and it is combustible.
"G. Grant" wrote in message
Can I use my 10" compound miter saw to cut ferrous metal? Abrasive chop
saw
wheels have the same arbor size (5/8") and similar speeds (3900 - 5000
rpm).
My saw is rated at 15 amps and runs 4800 rpm. If not, please explain why.
Thanks!

Edwin Pawlowski

"G. Grant" wrote in message
Can I use my 10" compound miter saw to cut ferrous metal? Abrasive chop
saw
wheels have the same arbor size (5/8") and similar speeds (3900 - 5000
rpm).
My saw is rated at 15 amps and runs 4800 rpm. If not, please explain why.
Thanks!

No experience myself, but I know it has been done. You have to remove the
dust collecting bag and clean up the sawdust so the sparks of cutting do not
start a fire. You have to clean up well going the other way so the metal
fragments do not get into the wood. Miter saws often have plastic parts.
like blade guards, than can be damaged by the sparks and metal fragments
also.

Seems like a lot of trouble for one or two cuts, seems like a PITA if you do
a lot of cutting considering the low cost of a dedicated saw. .