Edwin Pawlowski

"G. Grant" wrote in message
Can I use my 10" compound miter saw to cut ferrous metal? Abrasive chop
saw
wheels have the same arbor size (5/8") and similar speeds (3900 - 5000
rpm).
My saw is rated at 15 amps and runs 4800 rpm. If not, please explain why.
Thanks!

No experience myself, but I know it has been done. You have to remove the
dust collecting bag and clean up the sawdust so the sparks of cutting do not
start a fire. You have to clean up well going the other way so the metal
fragments do not get into the wood. Miter saws often have plastic parts.
like blade guards, than can be damaged by the sparks and metal fragments
also.

Seems like a lot of trouble for one or two cuts, seems like a PITA if you do
a lot of cutting considering the low cost of a dedicated saw. .