Robert11

Default Electronic Igniters On Outdoor Grils: How Necessary ?

Hello:

Want to get an outdoor grill (probably in the $ 400 range) as a gift.
Really know nothing about them, but CR had a good writeup on them this
month.

Concerning electronic igniters:

is this a "must-have" option ?
how important ?

If it doesn't come with one, how do you light the burners; a match, or... ?

BTW: The Vermont Castings Brand seems to offer a bit more than the Webers
that you see in all the stores.
Any opinions on ?

thanks,
B.

Doug Miller

In article , "Robert11" wrote:
is this a "must-have" option ?

Now there's a concept: a must-have option.

If it was necessary, it wouldn't be an option, now would it?

how important ?

Hardly at all. It's convenient -- right up until the time it quits working,
which, if you use the grill much, won't be terribly long.

If it doesn't come with one, how do you light the burners; a match, or... ?

Any ignition source will work, but a match is the easiest. Light the match
*first*, then insert the lighed match through the lighting hole. Then turn on
the gas.

--
Regards,

Edwin Pawlowski

"Robert11" wrote in message

Concerning electronic igniters:

is this a "must-have" option ?
how important ?

I've not seen a grillwithout one in years. They are safer than trying to get
a match to the burner from either top or bottom of the grill. Older ones
failed often, but the newer ones seem to be very reliable.

If it doesn't come with one, how do you light the burners; a match, or...
?

Doubt you will find a gas grill that does not have one.

BTW: The Vermont Castings Brand seems to offer a bit more than the Webers
that you see in all the stores.
Any opinions on ?

Weber make a great grill and has many happy customers. I have a VC and
thought it was a better buy. There are many good brands at the $400+ level.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Doug Miller

In article , frank-in-toronto wrote:
however, since they fail in no time, you'll need to get a
hand-held igniter anyway. matches aren't the best if it's ever
windy in your area.

If it's too windy to light a match, it's probably too windy to grill, too.

--
Regards,

Joseph Meehan

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Want to get an outdoor grill (probably in the $ 400 range) as a gift.
Really know nothing about them, but CR had a good writeup on them this
month.

Concerning electronic igniters:

is this a "must-have" option ?
how important ?

If it doesn't come with one, how do you light the burners; a match,
or... ?
BTW: The Vermont Castings Brand seems to offer a bit more than the
Webers that you see in all the stores.
Any opinions on ?

thanks,
B.

Having done it both ways, I would not buy one, especially one in the
$400 range, I would not buy one without it. I wonder how many good ones
don't come with one.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Noozer

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Want to get an outdoor grill (probably in the $ 400 range) as a gift.
Really know nothing about them, but CR had a good writeup on them this
month.

Concerning electronic igniters:

is this a "must-have" option ?
how important ?

My grill is going on 3 years now and the igniter still works fine. I can't
even remember the last time I saw a grill that didn't have one. I find it
quite handy.

You have to go pretty cheap not to get one, so it sounds like you'll get one
whether you want to or not.

Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Doug Miller ) said...

If it's too windy to light a match, it's probably too windy to grill, too.

I wouldn't say that -- I have experienced a number of days where there was
enough of a breeze to make it nearly impossible to get a lit match into
the grill, but no problem at all for a hand-held igniter let alone actually
using the grill...

frank-in-toronto wrote:
however, since they fail in no time, you'll need to get a
hand-held igniter anyway. matches aren't the best if it's ever
windy in your area.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
- Napoleon
NOTE: if replying by email, remove "remove." and ".invalid"

SteveB

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Want to get an outdoor grill (probably in the $ 400 range) as a gift.
Really know nothing about them, but CR had a good writeup on them this
month.

Concerning electronic igniters:

is this a "must-have" option ?
how important ?

If it doesn't come with one, how do you light the burners; a match, or...
?

BTW: The Vermont Castings Brand seems to offer a bit more than the Webers
that you see in all the stores.
Any opinions on ?

thanks,
B.

I have a Vermont Castings three burner. I absolutely love it. It is easy
to regulate heat. The thing is heavy and holds the heat in. The porcelain
grates are easy, just wire brush them, and spray with Pam before cooking.

But the one thing I like the most is the "clicker". It has worked FIRST
time, EVERY time so far. I would suggest this barbecuer to anyone. I have
a cheaper one at my rental, and I have to supply those long butane lighter
sticks and hope someone doesn't burn off their eyebrows. I think I will be
springing for a new Vermont Castings grill for over there soon.

It says quality from the first time you lift the heavy lid. I paid $400,
but don't anticipate having to buy anothe barbecue in my lifetime. Up till
now, I've owned about six. Get the nice cover at Lowe's and keep care of
it.

Steve

Jim Yanik

"SteveB" wrote in

"Robert11" wrote in message
[...]

FYI,the "clicker" is a PIEZO-electric spark generator,it's not
"electronic".

Squeeze a crystal and it generates a voltage pulse.Stack the crystals for
higher voltages.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Jeff Wisnia

"Robert11" wrote in message

[...]

And, unless you are all thumbs, they are not that hard to "adjust" if
the sparking electrode gets bumped out of place or to change out
completely with a low cost "universal" replacement.

I've never had to change one. The only problems I've had over many years
were electrodes which got shifted too far away from "ground" to spark.

Since I quit smoking 11 years ago and nobody else in the house smokes
either it isn't always that easy to find a match when you need one.G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Colbyt

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Want to get an outdoor grill (probably in the $ 400 range) as a gift.
Really know nothing about them, but CR had a good writeup on them this
month.

Concerning electronic igniters:

is this a "must-have" option ?
how important ?

If it doesn't come with one, how do you light the burners; a match, or...

?

Mine have always failed. Of my grill gets heavy usage. They come standard on
all grills that I have seen sold in the last 10 years.

I have never replace one. I use the gun type butane lighter to light my
grill. I go up though the air hole in the bottom. Lighting from the top
can result in no arm hair. Propane is slighly heavier then air. The nice
thing about the gun style ligher is that it keeps lighting the grill even
after it is out of gas. The spark is all you need.

Colbyt

Joseph Meehan

Jim Yanik wrote:

FYI,the "clicker" is a PIEZO-electric spark generator,it's not
"electronic".

e·lec·tron·ic adj. 1. Of or relating to electrons. 2. Of, relating to,
based on, operated by, or otherwise involving the controlled conduction of
electrons or other charge carriers, especially in a vacuum, gas, or
semiconducting material. 3. Of or relating to electronics.

I guess it qualifies as electronic.

Squeeze a crystal and it generates a voltage pulse.Stack the crystals
for higher voltages.

True.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

SJF

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Want to get an outdoor grill (probably in the $ 400 range) as a gift.
Really know nothing about them, but CR had a good writeup on them this
month.

Concerning electronic igniters:

is this a "must-have" option ?
how important ?

If it doesn't come with one, how do you light the burners; a match, or...

?

BTW: The Vermont Castings Brand seems to offer a bit more than the Webers
that you see in all the stores.
Any opinions on ?

thanks,
B.

I've had the igniters fail. Was always able to repair in one of two ways --

1. Wire from push button to spark gap came loose. Push wire back on.

2. Crude built up around the spark gap. Clean out the bottom of the grill.

SJF

James

Can't the igniters be replaced for about five bucks??

Matt

Yep. I've got a weber LP platinum series grill - the igniter lasted 4
years, and I grill ALOT.

A visit to www.weber.com, order a new igniter - it was in my mailbox 2
days later.

$10 with shipping.

To the OP: That amount of $$ will get you a very nice grill. If you can
try to determine what sort of features the recipient likes to have;
there are so many options for these grills nowadays. I'm just saying
that cause it would be a shame to buy a grill with an accesory that
never gets used, vs. using that money toward an upgraded cooking
surface, etc.

Also, I highly recc. Weber.

There are almost no nightmares worse than having to assemble a grill -
Webers are pre assembled, or, in the worst case, are designed to be
assembled very quickly. They put alot of thought into the design and
operation of their product, and it's very solid.

Matt

One other thing I just discovered about my grill, although this is the
first year it has done this:

When you go to light it, don't turn on the gas with the lid closed.

First, open the lid, then turn on the gas, and then press the igniter.

For 2005, there are 3 additional steps.

1. Open lid
2. Turn on gas
3. Hit Igniter.
4. Watch 50 hornets begin to rise from inside the grill.
5. MAKE SURE THE GRILL IS LIT, SLAM TH E LID CLOSED AND THEN
6. RUN LIKE HELL

HeyBub

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Want to get an outdoor grill (probably in the $ 400 range) as a gift.
Really know nothing about them, but CR had a good writeup on them this
month.

Concerning electronic igniters:

is this a "must-have" option ?
how important ?

If it doesn't come with one, how do you light the burners; a match,
or... ?

For about $4 you can get a butane lighter with an piezo-electric spark at
the end of a 12" tube. The nice thing about this is you can use it to
shock-the-**** out of somebody you don't like.

James

I just wondered about all the hype/worry about whether to get a grill with
that "Option" ( a five dollar ignitor), and just how long that part
would last.............. ( five dollar replacement).

Worry more about the cost of gasoline..........

--James--

Jim Yanik

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in
:

Jim Yanik wrote:

FYI,the "clicker" is a PIEZO-electric spark generator,it's not
"electronic".

e·lec·tron·ic adj. 1. Of or relating to electrons. 2. Of, relating
to, based on, operated by, or otherwise involving the controlled
conduction of electrons or other charge carriers, especially in a
vacuum, gas, or semiconducting material. 3. Of or relating to
electronics.

I guess it qualifies as electronic.

No. It's only electric,which also relates to electrons. It generates an
electric current.
Electronic relates to active components.(the key is "controlled"
conduction,that's the "active" part)
Piezo effect is only a electrical/mechanical characteristic,not any active
components.It uses NO vacuum,gas,or semiconducting material,either.

Squeeze a crystal and it generates a voltage pulse.Stack the crystals
for higher voltages.

True.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
at
kua.net

Kevin Ricks

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
One other thing I just discovered about my grill, although this is the
first year it has done this:

When you go to light it, don't turn on the gas with the lid closed.

First, open the lid, then turn on the gas, and then press the igniter.

For 2005, there are 3 additional steps.

1. Open lid
2. Turn on gas
3. Hit Igniter.
4. Watch 50 hornets begin to rise from inside the grill.
5. MAKE SURE THE GRILL IS LIT, SLAM TH E LID CLOSED AND THEN
6. RUN LIKE HELL

Yah I have to carefully open my grill lid and check for wasps everty time I
use it.
The last 2 years in springtime I also have birds trying to build a nest
inside my grill. They nearly filled up the interior with grass and twiggs
the other day.
I now have to plug the holes on the sides of the grill with pop cans to keep
the birds out.
Kevin

Stormin Mormon

Sounds like my kind of gas grill. Except I think mine are in the tube that
holds the whole thing up.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus