R&D

Default HELP: What's good for garage floor?

Anyone know what they use to paint concrete garage floors? I'm looking for
something that soaks in and is impossible to chip or peel off... its a do
it myself project. Proably basic grey and some nonslip or matt finish is
good, its an attached garage and I'll use it for a work shop and changing
oil on the car.

Thanks in advance Rob

Home depot sells that epoxy paint kit crap made specifically for garage
floors. It is grey and comes with non-slip fairy dust you can sprinke
on it while it is drying.

Never used it, thought I was interested, but would like some
testimonials from AHR first.

Harry Everhart

I own two houses - one in PA and one in FL.

First I put Rustoleum Epoxy paint on the PA garage floor. It was
expensive - but today five years later - it is still perfect - no chips
no peels. (this is gray)

Then I decided to save a little - and use "hot trax" a latex garage
floor paint on my garage in Florida. After one year it has peeled off
in about 10% of the area - it looks a mess. (this is dark red)

Now to redo the FL floor I will have to get rid of all the latex paint
before I can do epoxy. I wish I was not so dumb - to save a couple of
bucks - and a little mess - I made a BIG mess.

Harry
Joseph Meehan

R&D wrote:
Anyone know what they use to paint concrete garage floors? I'm
looking for something that soaks in and is impossible to chip or peel
off... its a do it myself project. Proably basic grey and some
nonslip or matt finish is good, its an attached garage and I'll use
it for a work shop and changing oil on the car.

Thanks in advance Rob

Sure. It called garage floor paint. :-)

There is good quality stuff and cheap junk. I like the two part epoxy.
They no longer make the stuff I used.

They all have one thing in common. The quality of the result is 98%
dependent on the prep work and 1% on application and 1% on the material you
use. Do everything exactly as it says on the can about prep.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

artinist

why not tile it. it will look nicer, doesn't cost more, will last
forever.

the epoxy stuff doesn't work if you have high moisture under the
concrete slab.
there is some test you have to do to determine that. they should have
it on their page.

i think you take a piece of 12"x12" clear plastic onto the concrete and
leave it there for 24hrs. if you see moisture on the plastic after
that, there is too much moisture underground and the epoxy will peel
off soon.

R&D

Thanks everyone. I'll probably go for the epoxy. The slab has a vapor
barrior underneath so I think I'm fine with no moisture problems. Some good
ideas...someday if I decide to live in the garage I might go for the tiles.
Cheers, Rob
oups.com...