Joe and Maria

Default Outdoor ceramic tile

Hello,

I am planning to put tile over the cement floor in a covered screened in
porch. The area is covered, but only screened in, therefore it is exposed,
somewhat to elements eg. snow, rain, and freeze thaw cycles (I live in
Wisconsin). I realize that I must purchase certain tiles rated for outdoor
freeze cycles, but do any of you have any other pointers, such as to
thinset, and grout etc? Any other special outdoor installation
considerations?

Thanks

Joe

Richard J Kinch

Joe and Maria writes:

I realize that I must purchase certain tiles rated for outdoor
freeze cycles, but do any of you have any other pointers, such as to
thinset, and grout etc?

You want porcelain tile with its near-zero water absorbtion. Dunno what
you mean by "rated for outdoor".

Does the floor birdbath now when it rains? If so, you will have problems
with any tile unless remediated.
Joe and Maria

Is there any disadvantage to porcelain, such as being more fragile? I have
read that all tile boxes are stamped with a rating of the amount /degree of
freeze thaw cycles they have been tested for. I will definitely check for
any standing water points. Thanks for the tips.

Anyone else?

JimL

On Mon, 02 May 2005 01:55:11 GMT, "Joe and Maria"
wrote:

Hello,

I am planning to put tile over the cement floor in a covered screened in
porch. The area is covered, but only screened in, therefore it is exposed,
somewhat to elements eg. snow, rain, and freeze thaw cycles (I live in
Wisconsin). I realize that I must purchase certain tiles rated for outdoor
freeze cycles, but do any of you have any other pointers, such as to
thinset, and grout etc? Any other special outdoor installation
considerations?

Thanks

Joe

What you really want is slate. You can use it outdoors or indoors
or both.

Richard J Kinch

Joe and Maria writes:

Is there any disadvantage to porcelain, such as being more fragile?

No. Porcelain is harder and stronger. Narrow scrsps (the size of a
pencil) can be hard to snap in your hand. The disadvantage is
(potentially) the cost, since it is fired longer.

I have read that all tile boxes are stamped with a rating of the amount
/degree of freeze thaw cycles they have been tested for.

It would seem that freezing is something they either take or don't, based
on water absorption.

Most of the tile at Home Depot or Lowes doesn't have proper technical
ratings like WA. Some of it does, and whether it does or not seems to have
no correspondence to its cost.

Tile installation estimate in line with market? ate1 Home Repair 3 October 28th 04 11:13 PM
**** Tile questions ceramic .vs. porcelain **** TheCouchCruncher Home Repair 6 October 9th 04 03:27 AM
Florida Tile LD Home Ownership 17 March 2nd 04 11:52 PM
Ceramic tile over ceramic tile Don Home Ownership 1 November 23rd 03 06:34 AM
Tile Indentation & Cracking, Installer, and the Attorney General Ben Home Repair 8 July 18th 03 02:25 PM