CanadianCowboy

Default Lawn mower running rough

My briggs and Strattan mover was working fine up until I ran it dry
using every drop of gas. The next time I used the mover it runs rough
with RPM's going up and down but never stalling.

Is there a block in the carberator from the garbage at the bottom of the
tank ? Do I have to take it apart and clean ?

Any help would be appreciated !!
Jimbo

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but are you trying to run it on last years
old fuel or have you got fresh gas in the tank. Last summer a couple of
small engine mechanics I know where complaining about all the warrantee
claims they where having that could be traced to bad fuel. Apparently all
new lawn and garden equipment utilize new style carburetors that cut
emissions but make the importance of fresh fuel a absolute must. The guys
told me gas stored for as little as a month can cause problems.

Don't play around with the plug just put in a new one.

Good luck

Jimbo

"CanadianCowboy" wrote in message
My briggs and Strattan mover was working fine up until I ran it dry using
every drop of gas. The next time I used the mover it runs rough with
RPM's going up and down but never stalling.

Is there a block in the carberator from the garbage at the bottom of the
tank ? Do I have to take it apart and clean ?

Any help would be appreciated !!

William W. Plummer

CanadianCowboy wrote:
My briggs and Strattan mover was working fine up until I ran it dry
using every drop of gas. The next time I used the mover it runs rough
with RPM's going up and down but never stalling.

Is there a block in the carberator from the garbage at the bottom of the
tank ? Do I have to take it apart and clean ?

Any help would be appreciated !!

Running it dry at the end of the season allows the diaphragm in the
middle of the carburetor to dryout. The diaphragm gets hard and the
accelerator pump can't function properly. The only cure is to buy a
rebuilding kit (about $10), throw away all the jets and springs and slip
in the diaphragm. It should take less than a half hour. This is what
a "professional tune-up" consists of.

xrongor

William W. Plummer wrote:
CanadianCowboy wrote:

My briggs and Strattan mover was working fine up until I ran it dry
using every drop of gas. The next time I used the mover it runs rough
with RPM's going up and down but never stalling.

Is there a block in the carberator from the garbage at the bottom of the
tank ? Do I have to take it apart and clean ?

Any help would be appreciated !!

Running it dry at the end of the season allows the diaphragm in the
middle of the carburetor to dryout. The diaphragm gets hard and the
accelerator pump can't function properly. The only cure is to buy a
rebuilding kit (about $10), throw away all the jets and springs and slip
in the diaphragm. It should take less than a half hour. This is what
a "professional tune-up" consists of.

only cure? bah. just clean the carb. if that doesnt work then rebuild it.

randy

RMD

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 20:44:13 -0400, CanadianCowboy
wrote:

My briggs and Strattan mover was working fine up until I ran it dry
using every drop of gas. The next time I used the mover it runs rough
with RPM's going up and down but never stalling.

Is there a block in the carberator from the garbage at the bottom of the
tank ? Do I have to take it apart and clean ?

Any help would be appreciated !!

Are you sure it isn't a dirty air cleaner. That will make the idle
speed "hunt".

Ross

(To get email address ROT 13)

Jimbo

You might want to check all the carburetors control springs because if they
are stretched or distorted that can cause serious idle and governor control
problems. Over the years I have played around with making springs etc. but
in the long run it's much easier to take the engine to a dealer so they can
match up the proper spring for your model carburetor. Engine model number
doesn't always designate the style or age of the carburetor.

Also a good idea to make sure all the carburetor and governor controls are
moving freely and there are no restrictions causing air flow problems in the
area around the governor assy.

Good luck

Jimbo
..

wrote:

My briggs and Strattan mover was working fine up until I ran it dry using
every drop of gas. The next time I used the mover it runs rough with
RPM's going up and down but never stalling.

Is there a block in the carberator from the garbage at the bottom of the
tank ? Do I have to take it apart and clean ?

Any help would be appreciated !!

Are you sure it isn't a dirty air cleaner. That will make the idle
speed "hunt".

Ross

(To get email address ROT 13)

William W. Plummer

wrote:

My briggs and Strattan mover was working fine up until I ran it dry
using every drop of gas. The next time I used the mover it runs
rough with RPM's going up and down but never stalling.

Is there a block in the carberator from the garbage at the bottom
of the tank ? Do I have to take it apart and clean ?

Any help would be appreciated !!

Are you sure it isn't a dirty air cleaner. That will make the idle
speed "hunt".

No amount of replacing and adjusting is going to fix the dried out
diaphragm in the carburetor. Just buy a rebuild kit and spend the half
hour!
blueman

"William W. Plummer" writes:
CanadianCowboy wrote:
My briggs and Strattan mover was working fine up until I ran it dry
using every drop of gas. The next time I used the mover it runs
rough with RPM's going up and down but never stalling.
Is there a block in the carberator from the garbage at the bottom of
the tank ? Do I have to take it apart and clean ?
Any help would be appreciated !!

Running it dry at the end of the season allows the diaphragm in the
middle of the carburetor to dryout. The diaphragm gets hard and the
accelerator pump can't function properly. The only cure is to buy a
rebuilding kit (about $10), throw away all the jets and springs and
slip in the diaphragm. It should take less than a half hour. This
is what a "professional tune-up" consists of.

I am confused. If you leave in old gas, then you can cause carberator
problems. If you burn it off then you create carburetor problems
(i.e. dried diaphragm) too.

So, what should you do at the end of the season before putting away
the lawnmower?
Beeper

Had same problem last year. It was because I used old fuel. Was told fuel
over a month old should be dumped in your auto tank. Use fresh gas in
lawnmower. They are much more sensitive to fuel age. Cleaned carb and
changed diaphram. Was pretty easy. Just pay attention to how parts are
aligned as you remove them. A blocked gas cap can also cause the problem.
There are vent holes on them.
"CanadianCowboy" wrote in message
My briggs and Strattan mover was working fine up until I ran it dry using
every drop of gas. The next time I used the mover it runs rough with
RPM's going up and down but never stalling.

Is there a block in the carberator from the garbage at the bottom of the
tank ? Do I have to take it apart and clean ?

Any help would be appreciated !!

Colbyt

I am confused. If you leave in old gas, then you can cause carberator
problems. If you burn it off then you create carburetor problems
(i.e. dried diaphragm) too.

So, what should you do at the end of the season before putting away
the lawnmower?

Use sta-bil or similar in your gas, leave it in the tank and use your mower
hassle free.

My son has my 16 year old B & S classic and I'm not even sure that we have
ever changed the spark plug. We do the oil once per year.

Colbyt