Inyong Song

Default Closing on a first home - some questions ...

Hello,

As a first time poster in this group, I'd like to say this group has
been very helpful.

I am recently closing on my first home and would like to do some
renovations before moving in. Currently the basement of my home is
partially finished and is separated into a large room and a smaller
room (~5x10). I would like to push that wall back a few feet. Also, I
am also planning to raise the suspended ceiling about 6 inches and
installing some recessed lighting (which isn't yet wired electrically
for it) and also some switches and extra outlets. If I have the
chance, I would also like to create a small laundry room. Would I need
a building permit for all this work? What is the best way of getting a
permit and what other things would I have to know regarding getting my
permit approved?

I am planning to hire an electrical contractor to do the electrical
work while doing the wall and ceiling myself (my first time, but will
have help from someone who has done it already). Where would I find a
good electrical contractor in NJ near the Newark area?

Thanks everyone for your time.

For work of that scope, you need permits. To get a permit, you'll need
drawings showing what's being done. Depending on the municipality and
what's being done, they may need to be done by a licensed architect.
Since you're doing most of the work yourself, I would start by visiting
the building dept and asking how to proceed.

As for finding an electrical contractor, best way is to ask neighbors,
people you know, etc. Last resort is the yellow pages. Make sure you
get references, check them out, and check that they have insurance.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Inyong Song" wrote in message

I would like to push that wall back a few feet.

Be sure you will not be closing in too far on any heaters or AC units that
need to be serviced and need fresh air for combustion, etc. I can't see it
so I can't say if it is a good idea or not.

Also, I
am also planning to raise the suspended ceiling about 6 inches

I have to wonder why the original owner would not have done that. Be sure
you can raise it and you are clearing pipes, drains etc. that can be below
the joists.

installing some recessed lighting (which isn't yet wired electrically
for it) and also some switches and extra outlets. If I have the
chance, I would also like to create a small laundry room. Would I need
a building permit for all this work? What is the best way of getting a
permit and what other things would I have to know regarding getting my
permit approved?

Your local town building inspector will have those answers. A wiring permit
will be needed by the electrician and he will take care of it. Some home
renovations on the inside do not need a permit unless they are structural in
nature. I have no way of knowing your local laws and codes that may apply.
In most cases, to get a permit the only thing you need is some money.

Where would I find a
good electrical contractor in NJ near the Newark area?

Ask around and see who the neighbors used. What you want to do is well
within the realm of any electrician, but some don't want to bother with
small jobs, some rather industrial work. Most electricians and plumbers
have enough work booked to keep them buys for weeks so be prepared to wait.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Colbyt

"Inyong Song" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

The electrician should pull or provide any permits or inspections for the
electrical portion.

In most parts of the country the ceiling work would not require a permit but
remember you can't cover electrical junction boxes with drywall. If it is a
dropped ceiling that can be moved you may cover them.

The wall may or may not require a permit. Your local building inspection
office is the place to get accurate details and permits for all construction
items. In your area they may or may not work with unlicensed homeowners.

For all the trades a personal referral is always best. The smallest yellow
page ad is the default search method. Handyman services in the local paper
is about equal to the yellow pages.

Colbyt

Tony Hwang

Inyong Song wrote:

[...]

Hi,
Are you handy kinda guy with some basic tools and experience?
Or if you want to have all the things you need to be done by trades
people, list what you want and
get some estimates. Permits are responsibility of contractor when
needed. Raising suspended ceiling 6 inches?
It may not be possible. For me, I can do those type of things myself so
it's a matter of doing it after collecting
materials.
Good luck,
Tony

Inyong Song

Thank you very much for all the useful info.