Colbyt

"Inyong Song" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

As a first time poster in this group, I'd like to say this group has
been very helpful.

I am recently closing on my first home and would like to do some
renovations before moving in. Currently the basement of my home is
partially finished and is separated into a large room and a smaller
room (~5x10). I would like to push that wall back a few feet. Also, I
am also planning to raise the suspended ceiling about 6 inches and
installing some recessed lighting (which isn't yet wired electrically
for it) and also some switches and extra outlets. If I have the
chance, I would also like to create a small laundry room. Would I need
a building permit for all this work? What is the best way of getting a
permit and what other things would I have to know regarding getting my
permit approved?

I am planning to hire an electrical contractor to do the electrical
work while doing the wall and ceiling myself (my first time, but will
have help from someone who has done it already). Where would I find a
good electrical contractor in NJ near the Newark area?

Thanks everyone for your time.

The electrician should pull or provide any permits or inspections for the
electrical portion.

In most parts of the country the ceiling work would not require a permit but
remember you can't cover electrical junction boxes with drywall. If it is a
dropped ceiling that can be moved you may cover them.

The wall may or may not require a permit. Your local building inspection
office is the place to get accurate details and permits for all construction
items. In your area they may or may not work with unlicensed homeowners.

For all the trades a personal referral is always best. The smallest yellow
page ad is the default search method. Handyman services in the local paper
is about equal to the yellow pages.

Colbyt