Walter R.

Default Speed control for 12" fan

It's getting warm outside. But, if I turn on my 12" electric fan I am
getting too much of a blast, even at the Low setting.

Did anyone come across an inexpensive speed control that I can just plug in
between the outlet and the fan?

I tried Walmart and Sears, without luck.

Thanks

--

Walter
The Happy Iconoclast www.rationality.net

m Ransley

I use X10 - radioshacks Plug in Power and my fan and its speed are
remote controled, as are lights from one 32 channel remote. The dimable
light module says don`t use for a fan but it has worked for 8 years.

kato

"Walter R." wrote in message
It's getting warm outside. But, if I turn on my 12" electric fan I am
getting too much of a blast, even at the Low setting.

Did anyone come across an inexpensive speed control that I can just plug

in
between the outlet and the fan?

I tried Walmart and Sears, without luck.

I know they say not to do this, but I put my fan on a standard light dimmer
switch almost 20 years ago. Works fine to this day.

Michael Daly

On 23-Apr-2005, "kato" wrote:

I know they say not to do this, but I put my fan on a standard light dimmer
switch almost 20 years ago. Works fine to this day.

Home Depot sells dimmers that are rated for fans.

Mike
stretch

The problem with using dimmers for fans is most such fans use sleeve
bearings. The motor manufacturers will tell you not to run a sleeve
bearing at below 500 RPM, or you will ruin the bearing. If you keep
the gan going above 500 RPM, or if you have a ball bearing motor, there
should be no trouble.

Stretch

Speed control from Reciprocating saw meirman Electronics Repair 0 March 27th 05 06:18 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Router Speed Control Problem Geo Woodworking 5 November 22nd 03 07:32 PM
Router Speed Control - How does this work? Jack Erbes Metalworking 20 October 30th 03 05:49 AM
Anyone used the external router speed control JGS Woodworking 4 August 20th 03 04:36 AM