Clyde

Default redwood fence post repair

We have a small (8 section) basketweave fence that's been around for
40+ years. I recently reworked several of the panels using as much of
the redwood as possible and using cedar when I had to replace wood.

The post that holds the large gate has rotted at the bottom (was
repaired a couple times) at the top of the last concrete pour.

My idea is to use the original redwood post but to use a pipe to
secure the post. My thought is to place a concrete filled pvc pipe
into the center of the post, perhaps 3-4 feet deep, glue (or screw)
the pipe inside the post and then set the pvc pipe into fresh concrete
(again about 2 feet down).

I'm not a woodworker and don't have a horizontal boring machine that
could bore a 2 inch hole in the center of a post 3-4 feet.

I've thought of cutting the post in half then routing out the
material, placing the pipe, then glueing the two halves together but
don't know if I'd just be introducing another failure point with that
long joint and weather seapage, etc..

Any thoughts on how a layman could tackle this, or should I try to
find someone with a boring machine? (dont know what heading that
would be in the yellow pages)

How about using a sturdy galvanized fence post set in concrete and
boxed in with cedar boards? The post would need to be prepared for the
gate hardware first, and should be easier to do than salvaging the
original post. HTH

Joe

Heathcliff

Here's another idea. Take the post out and make a composite post by
splicing it to a length of treated wood post. To make the splice, cut
the bottom of the redwood post into an upside-down U shape, and cut the
treated post so it has a tongue that sticks up and fits into the U.
Assemble with glue and wood screws. I think if done well it could be
fairly inconspicuous. I would guess the splice need only be 12 or 18
inches long. More trouble than I would go to for a redwood post, but
you seem to be willing to put time into it. Whether this would stand
up to the stress of being a gate post might be a little dicey.

-- H

Charles Spitzer

"Heathcliff" wrote in message
ups.com...
Here's another idea. Take the post out and make a composite post by
splicing it to a length of treated wood post. To make the splice, cut
the bottom of the redwood post into an upside-down U shape, and cut the
treated post so it has a tongue that sticks up and fits into the U.
Assemble with glue and wood screws. I think if done well it could be
fairly inconspicuous. I would guess the splice need only be 12 or 18
inches long. More trouble than I would go to for a redwood post, but
you seem to be willing to put time into it. Whether this would stand
up to the stress of being a gate post might be a little dicey.

-- H

scarf joint. should be minimum of 6:1, or 21" or more.

Fence boundary question. Dave UK diy 13 November 25th 04 04:48 PM
penance for posting OT mel Woodworking 4 January 18th 04 03:27 AM
Wood Question: Which is stronger, a round post or square post? McQualude Woodworking 68 November 16th 03 07:19 AM
What is the best 4 x 4 Fence Post to Use? Michael Home Repair 8 July 9th 03 04:12 AM
fence installation tips needed (3-rail post & rail and wire mesh) Bring out the Gimp Home Repair 1 June 25th 03 12:47 AM