longshot

Default black "dust" in the air

my wife says there's a film getting on stuff in the house when the furnace
runs.. I thinks it's from all the candles she burns. I changed the filter on
the electric forced air furnace & it was black.. but it's been a few weeks &
there's still a film, but the new filter still looks like new.

ideas? I have never seen such a thing.

Thanks
Rob

Art

Get someone in to check the furnace and buy a carbon monoxide detector
immediately to make sure toxic fumes are not getting into the house. This
is potentially a dangerous situation.

newsOP8e.28091$GJ.4373@attbi_s71...

&

"longshot" wrote in message
newsOP8e.28091$GJ.4373@attbi_s71...

my wife says there's a film getting on stuff in the house when the furnace
runs.. I thinks it's from all the candles she burns. I changed the filter

on
the electric forced air furnace & it was black.. but it's been a few weeks

&
there's still a film, but the new filter still looks like new.

ideas? I have never seen such a thing.

Thanks
Rob

It COULD be from the candles. I had a customer that called about the same
thing, and swore it had to be the furnace...
Well..they had a heat pump, and there was no way it was from there...looked
around and the wife had about 100 candles she burned..all with high wicks.
Now..if its happening only when you run the furnace, then its a good idea to
get a tech out, and allow them to check to see if you have a problem
particularly if its an oil burning unit...gas can do the same thing, but not
as bad normally. the only way you are going to be getting this like you
describe would be with a severely cracked heat exchanger, and this needs to
be checked for, and possibly repaired NOW.

If its from the candles...and that bad, you are still going to need now to
get the furnace and AC coils serviced..its nasty stuff in large amounts like
you are describing.

http://www.securityworld.com/library...emissions.html

JimL

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 14:50:11 GMT, "longshot"
wrote:

my wife says there's a film getting on stuff in the house when the furnace
runs.. I thinks it's from all the candles she burns. I changed the filter on
the electric forced air furnace & it was black.. but it's been a few weeks &
there's still a film, but the new filter still looks like new.

ideas? I have never seen such a thing.

Thanks
Rob

Candles are major air pollutants. The residue from burning candles
create allergy reactions in many and are very likely carcinogenic.

The soot you found is just one of many problems.

http://www.allergybuyersclub.com/faq...hcandles.shtml

m Ransley

Co, He did say Electric forced air furnace. But is that what he meant?
Hoosier electric rates are high so I hope not. Candles do produce soot.
Is that your lighting?

Art Todesco

m Ransley wrote:
Co, He did say Electric forced air furnace. But is that what he meant?
Hoosier electric rates are high so I hope not. Candles do produce soot.
Is that your lighting?

I'd guess candles. Go into any church that burns candles and look at
the ceiling above ..... black.
longshot

are you guys saying that an electric furnace doesn't omit CO?

If its an electric forced hot air, it cant make CO. No
combustion going on.

Only gas or oil can create carbon monoxide.
(what what anyone mention coal or wood???LOL)

Tell your wife to stop playing with fire and get the
damn candles out of the house before she burns
the place down to the ground!

"longshot" wrote in message
are you guys saying that an electric furnace doesn't omit CO?

Nope...none.
Only fuel burning appliances can...

I missed that part in your OP.

m Ransley

Electric meaning it uses electricity to heat and doesnt burn a fuel,
omits no Co

Art

Depends on what you mean is electric. If just the fan is electric and the
heat comes from gas or oil then you could get CO. But if you also have an
electric heat pump or electric coils then no CO. Do you pay a gas or
propane bill or oil bill?

"longshot" wrote in message
are you guys saying that an electric furnace doesn't omit CO?

Stormin Mormon

I read something about that in a heating and AC magazine. Yes, candles do
put out a LOT of soot.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"longshot" wrote in message
newsOP8e.28091$GJ.4373@attbi_s71...

my wife says there's a film getting on stuff in the house when the furnace
runs.. I thinks it's from all the candles she burns. I changed the filter on
the electric forced air furnace & it was black.. but it's been a few weeks &
there's still a film, but the new filter still looks like new.

ideas? I have never seen such a thing.

Thanks
Rob

Stormin Mormon

I would think an electric furnace DOES omit CO.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"longshot" wrote in message
are you guys saying that an electric furnace doesn't omit CO?

stretch

Stormin,

an electric furnace does not EMIT Carbon Monoxide (CO), unless
something containing carbon falls on the heat strips and gets burned.
Or did you really mean OMIT as that could mean that it blocks CO, which
really isn't true either, becvause if CO is already in the air, it will
pass through the electric furnace just fine.

Stretch

m Ransley

Stormy, don`t tell me you really think an electric furnace emits Co,
you need to get out of the repair business and sell bibles or something
something right for you

Edwin Pawlowski

"longshot" wrote in message
newsOP8e.28091$GJ.4373@attbi_s71...

my wife says there's a film getting on stuff in the house when the furnace
runs.. I thinks it's from all the candles she burns. I changed the filter
on
the electric forced air furnace & it was black.. but it's been a few weeks
&
there's still a film, but the new filter still looks like new.

ideas? I have never seen such a thing.

I have no idea what the fascination with polluting your house with candles
They make a nasty soot. Take a good look at the walls and ceiling where
they burn the most and you will see the black. It is ruining your
furniture, drapes, paint etc. A hot air furnace just helps to spread it out
better. What you see on the walls is in your lungs also.

Waldo

Uh, guys, the OP said it was an 'electric' furnace which is
not a fuel burning furnace. Therefore, no combustion
process and no toxic fumes from the furnace.

that's what I was thinking..

"longshot" wrote in message
newsOP8e.28091$GJ.4373@attbi_s71...

my wife says there's a film getting on stuff in the house when the

furnace

runs.. I thinks it's from all the candles she burns. I changed the

filter

on
the electric forced air furnace & it was black.. but it's been a few

weeks

&
there's still a film, but the new filter still looks like new.

ideas? I have never seen such a thing.

Thanks
Rob

Stormin Mormon

Omit: To leave something out.

Electric furnaces may pump air, but they most certainly omit carbon
monoxide.

My father is an editor. I do make typos now and again. But for the most
part, I mean what I say, even if I don't say it mean. (Meanly?)

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"stretch" wrote in message
oups.com...
Stormin,

an electric furnace does not EMIT Carbon Monoxide (CO), unless
something containing carbon falls on the heat strips and gets burned.
Or did you really mean OMIT as that could mean that it blocks CO, which
really isn't true either, becvause if CO is already in the air, it will
pass through the electric furnace just fine.

Stretch

Stormin Mormon

Hey, if I have a coal burning electric plant that pumps soot into the air,
and then sends electricity to your house. Do you consider that a "non
polluting" appliance?

How about if I have a Coleman generator that is chugging out fumes and
burning gas. There is a wire going from the generator to the furnace. Is the
furnace non polluting?

Is the hand dryer in the bathroom really "non polluting"? is electricity
really more environmentally friendly than sawing down a tree to make a paper
towel? I mean, the tree comes back in 50 years, we don't expect dinosaurs to
come back.

I live in the power zone of Ginnae Nuclear plant. When I push the hand dryer
at the restaurant, I am requiring the guys at Ginnae to make nuclear waste.
Non polluting, my aunt fanny!

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

.. .

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I would think an electric furnace DOES omit CO.

--

Prove this..

How does an electric resistance element furnace emit CO, or CO2 on its own
into the living area?

DAMMIT CHRIS...you are a total and complete idiot...

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
www.mormons.com

"longshot" wrote in message
are you guys saying that an electric furnace doesn't omit CO?

The only way a heating element can do this if it touches
something lights it up... Like paper, wood, gasoline or something
else that's flammible

Duane Bozarth

Stormin Mormon wrote:
I live in the power zone of Ginnae Nuclear plant. When I push the hand dryer
at the restaurant, I am requiring the guys at Ginnae to make nuclear waste.
Non polluting, my aunt fanny!

Can't let this pass w/o at least a comment, but I'm not going to get
into a protracted argument.

Well, given that I'm assuming you're not going to quit using the hand
dryer or the lights in your house, what do you propose for large-scale
generation?

Overall, considering the entire fuel cycle, there have been studies that
indicate that nuclear is the least of any of the alternatives you
listed. A prime advantage over any of the fossil fuels is CO2
mitigation/reduction.

If we were recycling (as we should be), the waste issue would be
significantly less of a problem (and it's not a technical problem, it's
a political one, anyway) than the present on-site storage of spent fuel.

(NucE, ~20 years w/ commercial nuclear power, last 10-15 primarily
working on coal-fired generation R&D...)
stretch

I HAVE SEEN THIS MANY TIMES HERE IN sOUTH cAROLINA. pEOPLE WHO BURN
CANDLES HAVE A LOT OF SOOT IN THE AIR OF THEIR HOMES. bECAUSE THE SOOT
PARTICLES ARE SO SMALL, IT TAKES A LONG TIME TO SHOW UP ON STANDARD AIR
FILTERS.

Oops, sorry about the caps, caps lock was on :-)

The carpets will act like filters where doors are closed and you will
get soot under the doors on the carpet when the doors are closed.

Remember that any time you have a yellow flame, you have incomplete
combustion. That means that you will produce soot as well as carbon
monoxide. That is why you have to be careful not to have a yellow
flame in a gas furnace, it will soot up over the course of the heating
season.

The soot that is on your furniture will be deposited inside your
heating ducts as well, but it is not coming from the ducts, it is
coming from the candles.

If you are breathing soot, you are breathing carbon monoxide as well.

stretch