Randy Mahoney

Default Primer for paneling

I have a room with paneling that I want to paint. I had been told that
someone makes a primer especially for paneling. It is supposedly a
semi-paste that will fill the grooves. Naturally I don't remember the
product name, nor who told me about it.
You guys know everything. Has anyone heard/used such a product? What is
it. What can you tell me about it +/-? Thanks.
Randy
The hooligan

I've been in the painting business for over twenty five years and have
never heard of a paint with paste consistency that fills paneling
grooves, BUT, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I prefer to use an
oil-based wood primer (NOT KILZ) followed by two topcoats of satin or
semi-gloss oil based paint. The grooves look fine. I have used spackling
before to fill the grooves but for the time and effort, it would be
better to remove the paneling. HTH

m Ransley

If that primer existed it would be like rolling on texture. Clean well
if wax or polish was ever used and use oil primer.

Takes more time than its worth but you can use dap plastic wood or
spackle or drywall mud with lots of sanding. Consider removing
panneling and doing 180 and then paint.
use good oil or shallac primer.

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 10:50:44 -0500, Randy Mahoney
wrote:

I have a room with paneling that I want to paint. I had been told that
someone makes a primer especially for paneling. It is supposedly a
semi-paste that will fill the grooves. Naturally I don't remember the
product name, nor who told me about it.
You guys know everything. Has anyone heard/used such a product? What is
it. What can you tell me about it +/-? Thanks.
Randy

Hopkins

Yeah, an oil-based primer is correct, after you're sure the surface is
clean. But I wouldn't bother with an oil-based finish coat -- if you or
someone else wants to paint it again later you have to stick with
oil-based finish, or use an oil-based primer in order to switch to a
latex finish.

I've never heard of a primer specifically for paneling, but maybe it
exists. Seems to me, though, that would be an exceptionally narrow
market. Not many people have paneling anymore, or want to paint it.

If you're intent on filling the grooves, keep in mind that there's a
chance they'll look different than the paneling. Even through a primer
and 2 finish coats, the paneling can show a wood texture. The grooves
won't.