G.M. Durrence

Default How do I replace the defrost thermostat in an Amana refrigerator?

I have an Amana top freezer refrigerator, model TJ22KW that has
stopped defrosting. I have done extensive testing and determined that
the defrost thermostat is defective. It heats for about 1 or 2
minutes on each cycle and then cuts off.

My question is how do I remove the evaporator cover to get to the
thermostat? Does the plastic around the doors just snap out? Do I
need any special tools? Do I go in through the bottom of the freezer
or the top of the refrigerator?

Any help will be appreciated.

G.M. Durrence
(to reply remove -nospam from address)
Appliance Repair Aid

G. M. Durrence wrote:
I have an Amana top freezer refrigerator, model TJ22KW that has
stopped defrosting. I have done extensive testing and determined

that
the defrost thermostat is defective. It heats for about 1 or 2
minutes on each cycle and then cuts off.

My question is how do I remove the evaporator cover to get to the
thermostat? Does the plastic around the doors just snap out? Do I
need any special tools? Do I go in through the bottom of the freezer
or the top of the refrigerator?

Any help will be appreciated.

G.M. Durrence
(to reply remove -nospam from address)

Hi,

I have an Amana top freezer refrigerator, model TJ22KW

Amana also uses "P" or "Man" #'s with the model#.

My question is how do I remove the evaporator cover to get to the
thermostat?

Remove power! The back wall inside the freezer should have screws,
remove these and the back wall will tilt out towards you to access the
defrost thermostat.

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=126461
Defrost thermostat - shows on back order

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

Stormin Mormon

first, what "extensive testing" did you do? How do you know this about one
to two minutes?

I really wonder about your diagnosis. I've replaced those thermostats, but
would like to know how you got to that point of view.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus