Mister Sensitive

Default Help replacing starter rope on tiller

My last pull broke the rope. I want to replace it, but I recall trying it on
a string trimmer before and having the spring fly out, never to be coaxed
into the housing again. Does anyone have any tips for replacement?

It's a standard B&S engine, front tine MTD tiller

Thanks...

kevin

I have replaced mine at least twice. Yes, the spring comes flying out,
and yes it is a big pain to get it back in there. I did manage to do it
though, although I don't remember exactly how.

One suggestion is to try putting in an extra long cord, and leave the
spring as loose as you can when you put it back in. Then once it is
assembled (with little or no spring tension) you can pull some of the
cord out (winding the spring), cut it short, and put on the cord
handle. This might be easier than starting with a normal length cord.

-Kevin

Jeff Wisnia

Mister Sensitive wrote:
My last pull broke the rope. I want to replace it, but I recall trying it on
a string trimmer before and having the spring fly out, never to be coaxed
into the housing again. Does anyone have any tips for replacement?

It's a standard B&S engine, front tine MTD tiller

Thanks...

You can do it without the spring flying out if you're careful about how
you take it apart and how you "wind it up" and hold it when attaching
the new rope prior to letting it draw the rope in and putting it back
onto the engine.

Do yourself a favor in advance and wear gloves and something to protect
your eyes while doing the job.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"
Duane Bozarth

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
You can do it without the spring flying out if you're careful about how
you take it apart and how you "wind it up" and hold it when attaching
the new rope prior to letting it draw the rope in and putting it back
onto the engine.

There are (or should be) holes in the pulley to put a nail or other pin
through to catch the end of the spring to prevent it coming loose...keep
tension on it so it doesn't get loose...

Do yourself a favor in advance and wear gloves and something to protect
your eyes while doing the job.

Amen...particularly the eyes...
Backlash

Unless the spring broke or came loose from the rewind spool or housing, you
don't have to handle the spring. Remove remaining piece of rope by picking
it out, then wind the spool itself carefully till it stops. There is a hole
in the spool that needs to be lined up with the rope hole in the housing.
Clamp spool in place with Vise-Grips. Thread a piece of small wire through
the end of the rope and fish it through the spool hole and tie your knot.
Carefully release the grips, and allow the spool to wind up the rope till
it's slack. Pull out as much as needed to keep rope tension at all times,
then tie your handle on. Wear safety glasses during all this, and gloves.

RJ

"Mister Sensitive" wrote in message
ink.net...
My last pull broke the rope. I want to replace it, but I recall trying it

on
a string trimmer before and having the spring fly out, never to be coaxed
into the housing again. Does anyone have any tips for replacement?

It's a standard B&S engine, front tine MTD tiller

Thanks...

George E. Cawthon

Mister Sensitive wrote:
My last pull broke the rope. I want to replace it, but I recall trying it on
a string trimmer before and having the spring fly out, never to be coaxed
into the housing again. Does anyone have any tips for replacement?

It's a standard B&S engine, front tine MTD tiller

Thanks...

Tiller and mowers are pretty easy. Just remove
the housing and look at the various parts to see
how they fit. Never had a problem with springs
flying. Parts are probably much larger than on a
string trimmer. A look at the parts blow up in
your manual should show how it all fits together.

Fluorescent tube starter Mark UK diy 11 November 29th 04 02:17 PM
do i need to pull the starter? RB Home Repair 1 September 8th 04 03:02 PM
Figuring loads / block & tackle theory The Other Harry Home Repair 152 March 20th 04 07:55 PM
Fluorescent light tube starter Mark UK diy 6 November 14th 03 11:09 PM
Using a rental TILLER to till lawn Dan G Home Repair 16 September 23rd 03 11:18 PM