Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
ares

Default Repairing crappy furniture

I was given a bedroom set that's beautiful but made like junk; like the
bottom or drawers almost seems like reinforced cardboard put together with
an office stapler or something. It needs some repairs and it's like it's so
junky you can't really fix it with what's already there. There was a little
warping and the bottom wouldn't stay in the groove; I managed to fix it with
a strip of real wood across the bottom with wood glue, and some small nails
from the back .

Anyway, a foot came off the dresser; it's attached to a triangle of wood(one
side attached to foot and other to bottom of dresser. The food is sort of
like a block of wood with ridges for decoration; also had some sort of long
narrow staples and a couple of dowels going from the dresser into the foot.
There was some slight water damage. Anyway I'm trying to nail this triangle
of wood to the foot with finishing nails, and the nails keep bending before
they get into the foot. So I'm constantly hammering and rebending the nails
and getting nowhere. What is it I might be doing wrong or what could I do
better with this. The other 2 feet seem to be secure and ok. At the
moment, I glued everything back into place with wood glue but it would need
reinforcement. Should I drill holes? Is it unusual to have to drill a hole
to put a nail in something, or is a finishing nail the wrong thing?
ares