MG

Default PVC water line above ground

I need to run (extend) a water line from a hose bib to the deck and have a
few questions.
This will be all above ground, visible, 4' down from the original bib, 26'
horizontally around the corner and 6' up to the new bib.
1 Is there some code rules I should know, is it permitted at all? The
original bib has the antisiphon valve.
2 Is PVC sch 40 OK above ground, will UV crumble it in a few years?
3 I plan to paint it gray to blend with the concrete footing. Will this help
with the UV?
4 I plan to use also copper in as short section where many turns are needed,
1/2" copper bends are less bulky than PVC elbows.
5 I plan to come down vertically to a low spot where I place a drain valve
and then go up 2% on the two 13 feet sections around the corner and up to
the deck. I figure that opening the deck faucet and the drain valve should
drain all the pipes including the vertical piece. Hope the vertical piece
will dribble dry even if the top is sealed by the bib.
Location Austin TX, it freeze every winter, but this is for watering plants
so it can be winterized.

Please point out any flaws in this plan, better know now than find out
later.

A garden hose is an alternate solution but wife does not like to walk down
the deck around the corner to shut off.

Thanks

MG

Doug Miller

In article . net, "MG" wrote:
I need to run (extend) a water line from a hose bib to the deck and have a
few questions.
This will be all above ground, visible, 4' down from the original bib, 26'
horizontally around the corner and 6' up to the new bib.
1 Is there some code rules I should know, is it permitted at all? The
original bib has the antisiphon valve.

Ask your local code enforcement agency. The rules differ *widely* from one
place to another.
2 Is PVC sch 40 OK above ground,

No
will UV crumble it in a few years?

Yes

3 I plan to paint it gray to blend with the concrete footing. Will this help
with the UV?

Yes

4 I plan to use also copper in as short section where many turns are needed,
1/2" copper bends are less bulky than PVC elbows.

I wouldn't do that if I were you; that stuff is too easily damaged.

5 I plan to come down vertically to a low spot where I place a drain valve
and then go up 2% on the two 13 feet sections around the corner and up to
the deck. I figure that opening the deck faucet and the drain valve should
drain all the pipes including the vertical piece. Hope the vertical piece
will dribble dry even if the top is sealed by the bib.

It'll probably work fine.

Location Austin TX, it freeze every winter, but this is for watering plants
so it can be winterized.

Please point out any flaws in this plan, better know now than find out
later.

Dents in the soft copper tube...

A garden hose is an alternate solution but wife does not like to walk down
the deck around the corner to shut off.

Well, you can buy a valve that fits on the end of the garden hose...

--
Regards,

MG

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
.. .
In article . net, "MG"
wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Doug.

MG

wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 23:37:43 GMT, "MG" wrote:

I need to run (extend) a water line from a hose bib to the deck and have a
few questions.
This will be all above ground, visible, 4' down from the original bib, 26'
horizontally around the corner and 6' up to the new bib.
1 Is there some code rules I should know, is it permitted at all? The
original bib has the antisiphon valve.
2 Is PVC sch 40 OK above ground, will UV crumble it in a few years?

Below the 26th parallel PVC above ground is the norm. Sun will
eventually make itt brittle but paint helps that. I still haven't seen
it fail unless it gets whacked. Hook this up with a short section of
RV hose to the hose bib and it is legally just a hose attachment.

RV hose? Recreational Vehicle? A flex hose that can stand pressure?
Thanks
MG

MG

wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 23:37:43 GMT, "MG" wrote:

I need to run (extend) a water line from a hose bib to the deck and have a
few questions.
This will be all above ground, visible, 4' down from the original bib, 26'
horizontally around the corner and 6' up to the new bib.
1 Is there some code rules I should know, is it permitted at all? The
original bib has the antisiphon valve.
2 Is PVC sch 40 OK above ground, will UV crumble it in a few years?

Below the 26th parallel PVC above ground is the norm. Sun will
eventually make itt brittle but paint helps that. I still haven't seen
it fail unless it gets whacked. Hook this up with a short section of
RV hose to the hose bib and it is legally just a hose attachment.

Alternate approach: there is a much closer faucet (9') which I use
regularly. Instead of a Hose Connection, I could place a TEE before the
faucet and run copper, still above ground but protected under the deck. At
the end a new faucet and the antisiphon valve, same provision for draining.
Is this legal?

MG

George E. Cawthon

MG wrote:
wrote in message

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 23:37:43 GMT, "MG" wrote:

I need to run (extend) a water line from a hose bib to the deck and have a
few questions.
This will be all above ground, visible, 4' down from the original bib, 26'
horizontally around the corner and 6' up to the new bib.
1 Is there some code rules I should know, is it permitted at all? The
original bib has the antisiphon valve.
2 Is PVC sch 40 OK above ground, will UV crumble it in a few years?

Below the 26th parallel PVC above ground is the norm. Sun will
eventually make itt brittle but paint helps that. I still haven't seen
it fail unless it gets whacked. Hook this up with a short section of
RV hose to the hose bib and it is legally just a hose attachment.

RV hose? Recreational Vehicle? A flex hose that can stand pressure?
Thanks
MG

Use the black pipe that comes in rolls and is used
for irrigation systems and as supply pipes.
Normally it is buried, but it also works above
ground. Use the 90 psi type, or if you really
want to be sure of long time use, use the 120 psi
type.

I've had a 1" plastic pipe about 90 feet long for
my garden lying on the surface connecting between
a faucet to an underground pipe for about 15 years
the pipe is pressurized from May to October.
Just don't keep it full of water when it is freezing.

You could probably just as easily used galvanized
pipe, or, if you don't have pipe threading and
cutting tools, use copper pipe