Default Newbie electrical question

Hello everyone. What I am proposing to do is add an outdoor light
controlled by an outdoor switch in a double gang box that will also
have a GFI duplex outlet. The power will be provided by an existing
outdoor motion sensing light that is controlled by an existing indoor
single pole switch. This indoor switch is in the on position
practically all of the time so I believe if I just pigtail power to the
motion sensor light and then run power to the new fixtures I should be
alright, right? Will the power downline be turned off and on by the
motion sensor? Also, will I need to upgrade the indoor switch to handle
the extra load and is it also a bad idea to put another switch on a
line that has already been switched. Thanks.

m Ransley

To have a motion sensing light control other fixtures you need to run
wires from the switched electric at the motion sensing light, But most
are rated at 350-500 watt so you cant add much. X -10 also known as
Radioshack Plug In Power has exterior motion lamps and switch modules
that can control everything even from 3 button built in or hand held
garage door openers. One unit can be set to trigger many others by AC
line pulse communication.

jadern

I dont want the existing motion sensor light to control the other
downline fixtures. I just want to draw power for the downline fixtures
from the switched motion sensor. The downline fixtures will be a single
pole switch to run a floodlight without a sensor and a GFI outlet.
Thanks for your reply.

RBM

It's a little unclear what you're trying to do, but if you intend to tap
power for this new circuit after the existing indoor switch, but before the
motion detector and feed a GFCI outlet and a switch for a floodlight, it
will work fine as long as the circuit can handle the additional load.
wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello everyone. What I am proposing to do is add an outdoor light
controlled by an outdoor switch in a double gang box that will also
have a GFI duplex outlet. The power will be provided by an existing
outdoor motion sensing light that is controlled by an existing indoor
single pole switch. This indoor switch is in the on position
practically all of the time so I believe if I just pigtail power to the
motion sensor light and then run power to the new fixtures I should be
alright, right? Will the power downline be turned off and on by the
motion sensor? Also, will I need to upgrade the indoor switch to handle
the extra load and is it also a bad idea to put another switch on a
line that has already been switched. Thanks.

toller

The power now goes from a switch to a light. You want to take it from the
light to a new box with a switch and and outlet, and from the second switch
to a light. Is that correct?

In principle there is nothing wrong with that. The motion detector is part
of the first light and will no effect on a parallel connection. The
existing switch is certainly capable of handling 15a (although I have never
seen one not capable, it still might be prudent to check it).

Presumably the first switch goes to a box that has the first light mounted
on it. If so, it is a simple matter to put the wiring to the new box in
there.

Jeff Wisnia

Hello everyone. What I am proposing to do is add an outdoor light
controlled by an outdoor switch in a double gang box that will also
have a GFI duplex outlet. The power will be provided by an existing
outdoor motion sensing light that is controlled by an existing indoor
single pole switch. This indoor switch is in the on position
practically all of the time so I believe if I just pigtail power to the
motion sensor light and then run power to the new fixtures I should be
alright, right? Will the power downline be turned off and on by the
motion sensor? Also, will I need to upgrade the indoor switch to handle
the extra load and is it also a bad idea to put another switch on a
line that has already been switched. Thanks.

What you describe will work fine. The downstram power will not be
diddled by the motion detector as long as you tap off from the input
side of that light fixture.

Just make sure you use wire no smaller than what's going from the
existing switch to the motion detector light. And, don't forget the
ground conductor.

A little unorthodox to be sure. If it was me, I'd probably remove the
existing switch and put a blank plate over the box, just to avoid
confusing someone not in the know about it. But, maybe you've got some
valid need to keep the motion detector from turning on at certain times.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia