Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
anita

Default Questions about finding a surveyor

OK, I have the offer accepted on our house. Some really weird manipulations
wrt the timing occured. He made an offer with an escalation clause equaling
what we were going to be able to offer (just a little over our original
offer)+ a 1000 bucks. I had told my agent that it was the absolute max that
we would spend, and we couldnt get a penny more. Well we could, so all in
all- we did get screwed but only a little. There was some effort to
sabotage our signing of the offer, papers not delivered, delaying in
signing etc., but it worked out. But now there are brand new issues and
this time I want to make sure that I do something about it BEFORE I mess
up.
a) The property looks like it has a much smaller area than is said in the
assessors record and an awkward entrance. I want to have survey done, like
a boundary survey or whatever. Something that will enable me to mark off
our property with a fence. How much does a boundary survey cost -I know
its probably dependant on many things, but for 1/4 acre residential plot?

b) Where can I find these surveyors , is there some association ? what
qualifications should i look for, what should I ask them to check so I am
able to mark off my property ?
c) What should I do if the property thay they survey shows that there is
some space taken up by my neighbor ? I just signed the offer contract, so I
still have the rest of the stuff to do.
d) I've been reading about different kinds of surveys - what kind is this
one ? Will a survey required by the bank cover this ?

I did not put a survey contingency in my offer. In all the million things
that I had to digest new, I forgot to put that in.

Thanks
Anita