Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

blah

Default Projection Television

My parents are going to get a new TV to replace their old 50" TV. Here are
the 3 choices they are considering:

1. A regular old-fashioned 50" projection TV like they used to have
(cheap).

2. A 50" projection HDTV (a little more).

3. A 50" projection DLP HDTV (more still).

Given that they don't actually watch HD TV at this time (they have a regular
DVD player that's not progressive scan and they have regular broadcast TV),
is there any point to getting #2 or #3? I understand that maybe they should
get a widescreen since everything will be that way before too long.
However, are they going to get any quality difference with the more
expensive TV's?

Thank you!

I think they have over-the-air HD now so it might be an option for
them.

Of the CRT-based projection sets (not LCD or DLP projection) the
highest rated in CR is Sony KP-51WS520 at 1700. Panasonic PT-47X54 at
$1400 was 3rd.

If it were me I would opt for the cheapest TV that provided what I
wanted for the near-term, because prices are supposed to drop and drop
on the real spiffy ones.