Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

jetgraphics

Default frugal HTPC & HDTV recommendations

Goal: most economical hardware / software to
[] Capture Analog and Digital OTA TV
[] Convert VCR tapes to DVDs
[] Play video files and DVDs on analog TV / front projector
[] Output 5.1 digital audio stream to sound system
[] View HDTV on digital monitor
[] Second monitor option
[] Output digital video (DVI, etc)

All-in-one mainboards are very economical, but since they don't offer
TV-out, one might as well buy a AGP card with TV-out. Some of these
mainboards don't have the I/O to tap into the 5.1 audio stream, either.

Analog Tuner cards are economical, but will soon be superceded by Digital
TV. However, they may be useful for converting VCR libraries to DVDs. There
are only a few manufacturers of HDTV tuner cards. Is there some reason why
they aren't proliferating?

19" LCD monitors are about $299 US
19" CRT monitors are about $169 US

What hardware / software would meet requirements?

[] HTPC
__ Minimum processor power and memory
__ Mainboard
__ AGP graphics accelerator w/ TV out
__ Tuner / Capture card
__ Sound card (if needed)

[] Display
__ LCD ?
__ CRT ?
__ Projector ?

TIA!

Clob

"jetgraphics" wrote in message
[...]

Any P4 2ghz or Athlon 2000+ or better for best performance. You could get
away with less power. Do not go uneder P4 1.5, or 1500+. 512mb of ram
should be just fine. More the better though.

__ Mainboard

If your planning on using coaxil or optical out, then just about any sound
card can do this. This is the most senceable solution for an HTPC. Nvidias
Sound Storm is great on the Nforce3 motherboards. I am not aware of any
Intel mainboards that have digital outs.

__ AGP graphics accelerator w/ TV out

AIW ATI 9700pro or 9800pro for optimum performance and image quality.

__ Tuner / Capture card

This ATI does this. There are a few cards out there that are more expandable
and have more freatures. I am not familiar with any.

__ Sound card (if needed)

Just about anything that has coaxial or digital outputs. Some motherboard
have that built in. Dont expect great sound quality. I think it will sound
ok though.

[] Display
__ LCD ?

Bad idea unless you have the big bux for a very fast one. 12ms responce or
lower. 8ms is as fast as a 19" goes, but 12ms seems to have more quality.
www.tomshardware.com has several reviews of LCD's as does www.anandtech.com
..

As for LCD TV's, I dont know.

__ CRT ?

For best color and image quality... yes. You can find very nice 25" or
better monitors.

CRT TV's There are many great choises out there.

__ Projector ?

This would be the best over all performer but for a premium. Look for
reviews. Do a home theatre search in google. You should find great sites
that have all this discussed. I would recomend doing that first and get an
idea of what your wanting.

TIA!