Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Retaining Wall on New Construction - Please Help

Hi All,

We have placed a deposit on a new construction house on a cul-de-sac in
a mountain area of NJ. Everything was going great until today.

We realized that there will be two retaining walls on our property,
supporting the structure given that it's on the hill. The builder says
we are responsible for maintenance of the retaining walls, since they
are on our property. I'm hearing horror stories of how it can cost
100's of thousands of dollars to fix it, if something goes wrong with
them. Should I be as concerned as I am? Are there any options? Do these
things get covered by builder's warranty?(I guess this is a question
for NJ residents only)

The attorney review hasn't happened yet, so we CAN get out of it
still... should we?

Alan Sung

wrote in message
oups.com...
We realized that there will be two retaining walls on our property,
supporting the structure given that it's on the hill. The builder says
we are responsible for maintenance of the retaining walls, since they
are on our property. I'm hearing horror stories of how it can cost
100's of thousands of dollars to fix it, if something goes wrong with
them.

What kind of retaining wall? How high is it? A properly engineered and
installed retaining wall can last forever and require little to no
maintenance.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA

What kind of retaining wall? How high is it?

It's about 4-5 foot high, I'm not sure of the material, but it's some
kind of stone.

A properly engineered and
installed retaining wall can last forever and require little to no
maintenance.

We spoke to the town engineer this morning he said that the have never
had any complaints about erosion or damage in that development to
retaining walls. He said he would be happy to come out with us before
closing and inspect it then as well as at closing.

Yeah, we still have to find out weather it's covered by warranty or
not. I have talked to some people who live there and a town engineer
and I'm thinking I might have been overreacting a bit
Thanks for everyone's help!

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 21:56:12 -0600, someone wrote:

... Or perhaps your attorney can negotiate some kind
of warranty clause for you.

The warranty certainly isn't going to be "forever". At some point its
his wall. If this risk bothers him, he should not buy. I have some
doubts though that this is a legitimate use of an "attorney clause".

-v.