Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

David L. Hanson

Default Dryer problem

We have a 22 year old GE dryer (model DDE7900BALWH) which has non-functioning
Automatic Cycles (both regular and permanent press) but the timed cycle (you
set the number of minutes works fine). To use the automatic cycles, one sets
the dial between more dry and less dry and the dial is supposed to move to
the less dry end until the clothes are dry and the the dryer automatically
stops. In our case, the dryer timer dial is not moving for the automatic
cycles.

I have a somewhat generic GE (from GE) dryer repair model. It mentions that
some models have humidistats by the lint filter (either inside the drum or
underneath the lint filter). Our dryer doesn't have a humidistat in either of
these places. There are two thermostats there (I assume that both are
thermostats) but no humidistat. The thermostats are about 1" inch round
devices mounted on the inside front wall of the dryer.

Any ideas on how to fix this dryer would be appreciated. I always assumed
that there would be a humidistat somewhere in the dryer since it seems to be
drying based on humidity.

David L. Hanson
Ye MUST be born again.
Dr_wiley

If those therms- have more than two wires connected to any one stat
then they could be your problem. They not only cycle the the element
off and on but supply power to the timer moter during the off
cycle.Changing them both should not be a great expense.