Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Westcoast Sheri

Default Previous Whistling WaterHeater Post

My previous post regarding *extremely faint* high pitched
sound coming from my hot water heater incorrectly stated:

"...I then noticed that when I touched/bumped/jiggled the, "relief
valve,"
pipe coming out of the side of the hot water heater, the high-pitched
sound changed a bit...."

Actually, touching/bumping/jiggling the "relief valve" does not affect
the sound one bit. The sound is so high-pitched that just the act of
reaching over in that direction made my hearing point in a different
direction, thus modifying the sound.

I have determined that since the sound is 24/7 ("all the time") and
"seems" to be strongest near the temp control dial, that it must be the
sound of the gas flowing thru the pipe. Why it makes a high-pitched
sound instead of a hissing sound .... I don't know.

Any thoughts?

Robert Morien

In article ,
Westcoast Sheri wrote:

My previous post regarding *extremely faint* high pitched
sound coming from my hot water heater incorrectly stated:

"...I then noticed that when I touched/bumped/jiggled the, "relief
valve,"
pipe coming out of the side of the hot water heater, the high-pitched
sound changed a bit...."

Actually, touching/bumping/jiggling the "relief valve" does not affect
the sound one bit. The sound is so high-pitched that just the act of
reaching over in that direction made my hearing point in a different
direction, thus modifying the sound.

I have determined that since the sound is 24/7 ("all the time") and
"seems" to be strongest near the temp control dial, that it must be the
sound of the gas flowing thru the pipe. Why it makes a high-pitched
sound instead of a hissing sound .... I don't know.

Any thoughts?

Call the gas company?
Erma1ina

Westcoast Sheri wrote:

My previous post regarding *extremely faint* high pitched
sound coming from my hot water heater incorrectly stated:

"...I then noticed that when I touched/bumped/jiggled the, "relief
valve,"
pipe coming out of the side of the hot water heater, the high-pitched
sound changed a bit...."

Actually, touching/bumping/jiggling the "relief valve" does not affect
the sound one bit. The sound is so high-pitched that just the act of
reaching over in that direction made my hearing point in a different
direction, thus modifying the sound.

I have determined that since the sound is 24/7 ("all the time") and
"seems" to be strongest near the temp control dial, that it must be the
sound of the gas flowing thru the pipe. Why it makes a high-pitched
sound instead of a hissing sound .... I don't know.

Any thoughts?

I think it might be a good idea to have it checked for a pinpoint
leak/faulty gas valve.

"24/7 high-pitched sound" == teeny leak
"24/7 hissing sound" == less teeny leak
Dr_wiley

24/7 thats not the gas unless you use alot of hot water the sound
should stop when the temp is satisfied and the gas valve shuts off.
Check the exit end of that pipe from the relief valve. If you have
water there you need a new valve or heater. It sounds as if water is
leaking by this relief valve that pipe should not be hot to touch say
two or three feet from tank.