Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Todd W. Roat

Default Oak Threshold/Reducer: cant find

Finsihed my first tile project, entry way, looks great. However,
where the tile meets the living room laminate floor, I need an oak
reducer. At the Tile Shop, where I bought my tile, they had the
perfect oak reduced in two sizes in 8' lengths that I planned to use.
When I went there to get some, they said they had been out for some
time and no idea when more would be coming in. Cant seem to find
anything like it locally and not good enough with woodwroking to make
my own. Looks basically like this image:

http://207.234.221.182/staging/thresh.gif

Thoughts?

Todd in Cincinnati
Charles Spitzer

"Todd W. Roat" wrote in message
om...
Finsihed my first tile project, entry way, looks great. However,
where the tile meets the living room laminate floor, I need an oak
reducer. At the Tile Shop, where I bought my tile, they had the
perfect oak reduced in two sizes in 8' lengths that I planned to use.
When I went there to get some, they said they had been out for some
time and no idea when more would be coming in. Cant seem to find
anything like it locally and not good enough with woodwroking to make
my own. Looks basically like this image:

http://207.234.221.182/staging/thresh.gif

Thoughts?

Todd in Cincinnati

this is pretty easy to make with a table saw and router. i'd look up custom
kitchen cabinet makers or perhaps a local woodworkers hobby club in the
area. try looking up hardwood in the yellow pages, and asking them for
references. chances are some woodworker is working for them who could do it
for you. heck, some teenager or the wood shop teacher in the local high
school could make it for you and it'd probably be really cheap if you
provided the wood.

if you're really in a college, there might be a woodworking shop there.

Todd W. Roat

Thanks for the reply Charles. Good ideas. However, Im not sure the
"any high school kid could do it" statement is good for my ego ;^)
Even though you are probably right.

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message ...
"Todd W. Roat" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Charles Spitzer

"Todd W. Roat" wrote in message
om...
Thanks for the reply Charles. Good ideas. However, Im not sure the
"any high school kid could do it" statement is good for my ego ;^)
Even though you are probably right.

tools and knowledge. if you don't have one or both, then it's a hard task.
if you wanted to spend about $200-300 for the first one, you could buy the
tooling and enough wood to do it right. the second one would be really
cheap.

"Charles Spitzer" wrote in message
"Todd W. Roat" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Andy Hill

(Todd W. Roat) wrote:
Finsihed my first tile project, entry way, looks great. However,
where the tile meets the living room laminate floor, I need an oak
reducer. At the Tile Shop, where I bought my tile, they had the
perfect oak reduced in two sizes in 8' lengths that I planned to use.
When I went there to get some, they said they had been out for some
time and no idea when more would be coming in. Cant seem to find
anything like it locally and not good enough with woodwroking to make
my own. Looks basically like this image:

http://207.234.221.182/staging/thresh.gif

Sort of depends on how many flooring stores there are in your area. I had a
similar problem when I installed laminate, and had to have a laminate-to-carpet
reducer (the flooring store I bought the laminate from originally only had
laminate-to-tile reducers, and claimed that it was the only reducer made for
that laminate). Spent an hour or so calling around to the various flooring
stores in the area, and finally found a hole-in-the-wall discount flooring place
that had a laminate reducer that matched the color and grain of my flooring
(different brand of laminate, but who cares..).

Otherwise, there's always the internet (iFloor and such), but something like
that is usually better examined with the ol' Mark I Eyeball.

Lenny Fackler

(Todd W. Roat) wrote in message . com...
Finsihed my first tile project, entry way, looks great. However,
where the tile meets the living room laminate floor, I need an oak
reducer. At the Tile Shop, where I bought my tile, they had the
perfect oak reduced in two sizes in 8' lengths that I planned to use.
When I went there to get some, they said they had been out for some
time and no idea when more would be coming in. Cant seem to find
anything like it locally and not good enough with woodwroking to make
my own. Looks basically like this image:

http://207.234.221.182/staging/thresh.gif

Thoughts?

Todd in Cincinnati

I found an oak threshold something like this at Lowe's not too long
ago. I had been looking for one to replace a cheap looking metal
threshold between tile and hardwood floor for a couple of years.
I went in looking for something else and happened upon some threshold
pieces. The section was a disorganized mess. The oak piece I bought
was the only one there. It didn't seem to have a place on the shelf
or a pricetag. It was a 3 or 4 feet and I think it was less than $10.
They exist but I guess you have might have to scrounge around to find
one. Good luck