Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Louis Frolio

Default Under Cabinet Lighting.

Greetings All, I was hoping to get an opinion on something. I am in
the process of installing beautiful granite counter tops in my
kitchen. I want to put lighting under the cabinets to show off the
stone and for extra lighting while working in the kitchen. I have
seen people put the ligthing towards the front of the cabinet and
others all the way in the back? Is there any advavtage to putting it
in either position?

newfy.1

"Louis Frolio" wrote in message
om...
Greetings All, I was hoping to get an opinion on something. I am in
the process of installing beautiful granite counter tops in my
kitchen. I want to put lighting under the cabinets to show off the
stone and for extra lighting while working in the kitchen. I have
seen people put the ligthing towards the front of the cabinet and
others all the way in the back? Is there any advavtage to putting it
in either position?

We installed Xenon lights and the boxes are centered from what I can tell. I
wouldn't want them too far back for task lighting reasons, but I don't know
that it would make that much of a difference.

JennP.

newfy.1

"newfy.1" wrote in message

"Louis Frolio" wrote in message
om...
Greetings All, I was hoping to get an opinion on something. I am in
the process of installing beautiful granite counter tops in my
kitchen. I want to put lighting under the cabinets to show off the
stone and for extra lighting while working in the kitchen. I have
seen people put the ligthing towards the front of the cabinet and
others all the way in the back? Is there any advavtage to putting it
in either position?

We installed Xenon lights and the boxes are centered from what I can tell.

wouldn't want them too far back for task lighting reasons, but I don't

know
that it would make that much of a difference.

After closer inspection today, I noticed that they are mounted toward the
back, but they illuminate the countertop area just fine. For the OP, we have
granite also.

JennP.

On 22 Oct 2004 12:16:46 -0700, someone wrote:

... I want to put lighting under the cabinets to show off the
stone and for extra lighting while working in the kitchen. I have
seen people put the ligthing towards the front of the cabinet and
others all the way in the back?

I think towards the front would be "better" for useful light, but they
are often mounted at the rear so they can be fed from the wall without
a lot of cable under the cabinet.

You are not really trying to get "useful" (as in task or area) light
anyway, you are trying to "show off" the counters (to WHOM are you
doing this????), so in the back would be fine.

-v.