Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Danny

Default Need advice on deck

1. What do you think of the decking material. Everx from home depot?

2. WE are just going to build a basic deck. one level , square. What
should I do to prepare for the deck as in foundation, footings, etc etc.
What are the basics?

Thanks in advance

Bill Seurer

Danny wrote:

What are the basics?

Get two different books on building decks and read them.
Jeff

"Danny" wrote:
1. What do you think of the decking material. Everx from home depot?

We used Trex and have been happy with it. I think the cost was a
little less because of a greater availability of sizes, and Trex
offers more colors.

2. WE are just going to build a basic deck. one level , square. What
should I do to prepare for the deck as in foundation, footings, etc etc.
What are the basics?

Visit your library, and here are some tips:
http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/art...ixit/main.html

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 18:51:39 GMT, Jungle Jim
wrote:

I have a deck built in 1986 and I would like to replace the deck (not
foundation, just the top) with a synthetic (composite ? ) material to
try and minimize annual maintenance. My wife claims that a co-worker
had a deck with the composite (don't know if it was Trex or the Home
Depot stuff) material and it tended to get much hotter in the summer
that regular wood - to the point it was impossible to walk barefooted
on it. Have you found this in your experience ?

In my experience, yes, the composite did get hotter than the wood (and
this is in western New York, not exactly sun central), but for us, it
was still ok. Gotta toughen up the soles of the feet a bit, or just
use footwear.

Babbling Brook Photography

Make sure your footings are four feet deep and about every eight feet or so
apart (might want to check building codes). I used Trex and it does tend to
sag between the joists if not supported properly, make sure they are no more
than 16" on center (I put them at 14" on center) and then use a lot of cross
braces for support as the decking doesn't give much strength to keeping the
deck flat. All in all I love it because there is no maintenance to it and I
can just sit back and enjoy. Yes, it does get hotter than wood but I can
live with it in exchange for no maintenance.

--
Babbling Brook Photography

. net...