Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Greg

Default anyone have a "tankless (hot) water heater"?

Andy Hill wrote in message . ..
(Michael Sutton) wrote:
any one have one these tankless hot water heaters?

They heat the water on demmand and don't store it
in a large 40gallon type tank.

Do you like it?
how is energy usage compared to your old one?

would you reccomend it?

I have a Takagi TK-2 (installed about a year ago).

In general, I'm glad I went with it. I can now fill my whirlpool tub without
running out of hot water halfway through the process (although it takes longer
to fill -- flow rate through the tankless units is lower than that from a tank).
I got a big enough unit that capacity is very seldom a problem (I've taken a
shower with both the washing machine and dishwasher running with no significant
loss in pressure).

I've noticed no significant change in energy usage (good or bad). Part of the
problem is that my space heating costs totally swamp out the water heating
costs. If you're wanting to save tons of $$$ on your water heating bill, don't
waste your time.

I'd recommend the unit as long as you're familiar with the limitations --
especially flow rate with a very cold water input (flow rate reduces the colder
the water gets, so you gotta be familiar with the flow curves).

Wow! A rare post from someone who actually owns one. I've been
considereing one and I've read just about every posts on this site
about them. It seems 90% of the posts are from people who don't own
one. So the question is, what part of the country are you in? Do you
have flow rate problems in the summer? How cold does it get in the
winter where you are? Do you know what the cities water temp is? Is
yours gas or electric? Mounted inside or outside? What was the total
cost with installation? Did you have to increase the gas line from the
meter as some have suggested?

Greg
Andy Hill

(Greg) wrote:

Andy Hill wrote in message . ..
(Michael Sutton) wrote:
[...]

Hmmmm. Lots of questions.

We're in one of the "banana belts" of Idaho (Boise). Not real cold, but we
definitely have winters (average high this time of year in the mid thirties,
occasional lows into the teens, very occasional lows down to -15F). Current
water temp is a bit above 50F (doesn't get much colder than that, here). Don't
ever have flow rate problems, but flow rate is a bit lower in the winter. The
heater is NG, and is mounted out in the garage. Offhand, I couldn't tell you
the total cost (it was part of a major remodel, so a lot of the plumbing work
got "bundled". Raw cost of the heater was roughly $1000). We had to bump up
the gas line size from the meter -- at full bore, this baby pulls 185,000 BTUs,
which is basically another furnace.

need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Flushing / Cleaning Hot Water Heater Help Needed Cuse Home Repair 38 December 1st 03 02:01 AM