Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Jungle Jim

Default Help with Smoke/nicotine odor in desk

My aunt has just given me a desk made of solid mahogany (no veneers
anywhere that I can find). It is a beautiful desk with many dovetail
drawers and beautiful details everywhere. There are two problems I
would like suggestions on how to handle:

1. The varnish has minute cracks all throughout the piece.

2. My aunt and uncle were both smokers, and the insides of the
drawers and inside the desk where the wood is unfinished reek with
nicotine. The desk is at least 50 years old, they have had it as long
as I can remember (I'm 58), and I guess the extended exposure to the
smoke has caused this.

For #1, I was thinking using Formby's refinishing products to remove
the varnish, and then following up with a high quality poly.

I have no idea for #2, but I believe using anything with water may
damage the dovetail construction.

Can anyone suggest some solutions to these problems ?
Charlie Spitzer

"Jungle Jim" wrote in message
2...
[...]

1: strip and refinish. you might try something besides poly. i use
nitrocellulose lacquer. shellac is another good one.

2: shellac will hold the smell in. it's also not water based.

try rec.woodworking

ameijers

"Jungle Jim" wrote in message
2...
My aunt has just given me a desk made of solid mahogany (no veneers
anywhere that I can find). It is a beautiful desk with many dovetail
drawers and beautiful details everywhere. There are two problems I
would like suggestions on how to handle:

1. The varnish has minute cracks all throughout the piece.

2. My aunt and uncle were both smokers, and the insides of the
drawers and inside the desk where the wood is unfinished reek with
nicotine. The desk is at least 50 years old, they have had it as long
as I can remember (I'm 58), and I guess the extended exposure to the
smoke has caused this.

For #1, I was thinking using Formby's refinishing products to remove
the varnish, and then following up with a high quality poly.

I have no idea for #2, but I believe using anything with water may
damage the dovetail construction.

Can't adddress the refinishing, but sunlight and any of the anti-stink
fabric sprays will help with the odor. On a sunny day, set the desk on its
back in the yard, and pull out all the drawers. No, you don't wanna soak the
wood, but a quick wipe with a rag soaked in the stuff is unlikely to do
damage. I'd even wipe down all the surfaces with Windex, first, to remove
surface residue. Call your local Servicemaster or similar company, and see
if they will sell you a small bottle of the stuff they use for smoke-damage
cleanups afterr kitchen fires and such. May even be able to buy it at a
janitorial supply.

aem sends...

Desk Top suggestion Riley Woodworking 6 March 8th 04 10:30 PM
Where can I find info on desk design? Blue Woodworking 8 November 28th 03 04:54 PM
Desk Cable Channels Phil Jones UK diy 7 July 6th 03 09:52 PM