Jungle Jim

Default Help with Smoke/nicotine odor in desk

My aunt has just given me a desk made of solid mahogany (no veneers
anywhere that I can find). It is a beautiful desk with many dovetail
drawers and beautiful details everywhere. There are two problems I
would like suggestions on how to handle:

1. The varnish has minute cracks all throughout the piece.

2. My aunt and uncle were both smokers, and the insides of the
drawers and inside the desk where the wood is unfinished reek with
nicotine. The desk is at least 50 years old, they have had it as long
as I can remember (I'm 58), and I guess the extended exposure to the
smoke has caused this.

For #1, I was thinking using Formby's refinishing products to remove
the varnish, and then following up with a high quality poly.

I have no idea for #2, but I believe using anything with water may
damage the dovetail construction.

Can anyone suggest some solutions to these problems ?