Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Chris

Default Kenmore & GE Water Softeners

The sears Kenmore looks very similar to GE and was wondering if sears puts
there own label on GE products. So is the Kenmore Softener just a GE
Softener with there own name on it.

Thanks
Chris

Dan O.

"Chris" wrote:

The sears Kenmore looks very similar to GE and was
wondering if sears puts there own label on GE products.
So is the Kenmore Softener just a GE softener with
there own name on it.

Ken Schumm wrote in message ...

Sears doesn't manufacture anything of their own. Everything
they sell is made by other companies. They also renegotiate
contracts every year, so they might be a GE this year and
another brand next year. If you ask Sears they should be
able to tell you who made this years model.

If you get the complete model number *off the unit* (not out of a catalog or
off their web site), you may be able to tell whom made that particular model
for Sears from the list at the following link:

http://ng.appliance411.com/parts/sears.shtml

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=Kenmore+products

=Ð~~~~~~

Gary Slusser

"Chris" wrote
The sears Kenmore looks very similar to GE and was wondering if sears

puts
there own label on GE products. So is the Kenmore Softener just a GE
Softener with there own name on it.

Thanks
Chris

One company, Ecowater, makes both plus the NorthStar sold through
plumbing supply houses and probably the one offered by walmart.com and
possibly the Morton unit. They do not use industry standard resin tanks
or control valves, so converting to a different valve requires an
adapter that allows 2.5" x 8 tpi (thread per inch) industry standard
valves to be used on any of them if the valve goes bad. I have the
adapter in sch 80 PVC. The price for say a Fleck valve and the adapter
is less than the lowest sale price they offer with their Special Buy
sales for a new softener. Anyone that is handy can replace a control
valve. Otherwise you repair the problem by buying the parts, which is
usually equal to about a 1/3 of my solution and put them in yourself or
pay for their service guy which will usually end up equaling my price to
convert and that still leaves you with the same problem prone valve. Or
you could buy a new softener and pay more than my price to convert times
two. I tell you this because if you buy one be prepared for problems
with the valve in as few as 2-3 years. Especially if you are on your own
well.

You might want to have me give you a quote on a softener that with some
TLC can last service free for 10-20 years on really bad water.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

JD

"Ken Schumm" wrote in message

Sears doesn't manufacture anything of their own. Everything they sell
is made by other companies. They also renegotiate contracts every
year, so they might be a GE this year and another brand next year.

I'm amazed how many people don't know this. Aren't parents passing down
information anymore?

Bill Seurer

JD wrote:
I'm amazed how many people don't know this. Aren't parents passing down
information anymore?

I'm amazed that someone assumes that everyone knows something, parents
or not.

Gary Slusser

"Bill Seurer" Bill_AT_seurer.net wrote
JD wrote:
I'm amazed how many people don't know this. Aren't parents passing

down
information anymore?

I'm amazed that someone assumes that everyone knows something, parents
or not.

The same company has been making the Kenmore brand softener for over 25
years.

Gary
Quality Water Associates