Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

Default Home insurance rates increasing

AngryOldWhiteGuy wrote:

I'm in North Texas, near Dallas ).

The house's value is about $140,000 - the dollar value they came
up with to rebuild my home

My quote was about $2,000

I've been insured with State Farm for my car for about 25 years, and
combined with my house insurance for about 15 years.

I pay about $1800 a year to insure two vehicles (car and pickup) each
older than 10 years. We have a "no-fault" car insurance system here in
Ontario. On a per-vehicle basis, the bill works out to $340 for bodily
liability, $444 for accident benefits, $90 Direct compensation (property
dammage), $74 Loss or Damage ($500/$1000 deductible). No drivers in the
household under 25 years old. No accident claims for the past 20 years.

As part of a combined policy, we pay $440 per year for house insurance.
Replacement value of house is about $200k (market value is about
$300k). Deductible might be $5 or $10k. No mortgage insurance (house
is fully paid for).

House insurance premiums has been flat for years - I think it's always
been between $420 and $450 for the 15 years I've had it. Car insurance
has gone down maybe $100 per vehicle over the past 3 years (might have
something to do with some changes to our laws).
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

"Up here in Canada" wrote in message
AngryOldWhiteGuy wrote:

[...]

What is the value of your cars
On 10+ year cars, it's usually a waste of money to have collision.
You can put that money in the bank for your next car.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

AngryOldWhiteGuy wrote:

[...]

That's true long before 10 years, though things are changing, given
the prices of new cars and the sinking economy. Used cars are
becoming more valuable.

However, the point of any insurance is to cover what you can't afford
to lose. The car's age, or worth, isn't a direct factor (only to the
extend of whether you can afford...). Only a fool insures what he can
comfortably afford to lose (and that *may* be a 10-YO car).

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

kr williams @ att.net wrote:

I pay about $1800 a year to insure two vehicles (car and pickup)
each older than 10 years. On a per-vehicle basis, the bill works
out to $340 for bodily liability, $444 for accident benefits,
$90 Direct compensation (property dammage), $74 Loss or Damage
($500/$1000 deductible).

What is the value of your cars
On 10+ year cars, it's usually a waste of money to have
collision. You can put that money in the bank for your next car.

That's true long before 10 years, though things are changing,

Did you not read what I wrote?

Look at the fraction of my insurance premiums that actually cover damage
or loss of the vehicles, vs what I'm paying for bodily injury / accident
benefits.

I'm paying pretty close to the minimum to actually cover loss/damage to
the car, and I think I have the highest deductible available.
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 09:25:55 -0500, Up here in Canada
wrote:

kr williams @ att.net wrote:

I pay about $1800 a year to insure two vehicles (car and pickup)
each older than 10 years. On a per-vehicle basis, the bill works
out to $340 for bodily liability, $444 for accident benefits,
$90 Direct compensation (property dammage), $74 Loss or Damage
($500/$1000 deductible).

What is the value of your cars
On 10+ year cars, it's usually a waste of money to have
collision. You can put that money in the bank for your next car.

That's true long before 10 years, though things are changing,

Did you not read what I wrote?

Yes, HomoGay, as painful as that was. Obviously you can't think.

Look at the fraction of my insurance premiums that actually cover damage
or loss of the vehicles, vs what I'm paying for bodily injury / accident
benefits.

Proof positive.

I'm paying pretty close to the minimum to actually cover loss/damage to
the car, and I think I have the highest deductible available.

Yes, HomoGay, I believe you're that stupid. No need to shout it from
the rooftops.