Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,misc.consumers.house

Default Home ac having problems - freon doesn't seem to be circulating

wrote:
On Apr 6, 12:55 am, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
brassplyer wrote:
Have a Trane central system installed in 88. Model T V030 A140A0
When I last ran the A/C a few months ago it seemed to be working fine.
Usually when it fires up, you can hear a shursssshhhhh-shurrssssh
which I gather is freon starting to move within the system and you can
feel the bubbles in a tube at the front of the air handler housing.
Now when I fire it up I get no freon sound and no cool air. The air
handler is funning and the fan on the compressor unit outside is
running. I depressed the Hi Press fitting a really quick hit just to
verify there's pressure and there is.
It actually exhibited this behavior years ago when it was newer - a
few restarts seemed to get it kicked into gear, but so far no luck.
I'm not versed in A/C but am otherwise mechanically inclined, no
problem whatsoever digging into things with proper direction. Any
primary suspects I should look at before calling someone in?
Thanks for all input.

Twice today I had to replace the combination fan/compressor capacitor
on two different AC units. One of them was a Trane, the other a
Goodman. Both capacitors had swelled so the top with the terminals
had gone from flat to dome shape, this broke the connections inside
the capacitor which kept the compressor from running. If you see a
cylindrical or oval shaped capacitor with three connecting points
for one or more 1/4" Faston or flat push on connectors, that could
be your problem. Often there are separate capacitors but usually
the manufacturer installs a combination capacitor. The red wire is
usually the common going to the "C" terminal sometimes along with a
purple wire, a brown to the "fan" terminal and an orange, yellow or
blue to the terminal "herm" which is hermetic for the hermetically
sealed compressor's "S" terminal. If it is the capacitor, I would
recommend installing a 440vac rated capacitor if it already doesn't
have one. Many are rated a 370vac and you can go up in voltage
rating but it's not a good idea to go down in voltage rating. Check
out this link with pictures:

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/A...-Run-Capacitor...

http://tinyurl.com/66jdnv

TDD- Hide quoted text -

With a 22 year old unit, and depending on how often it's used, the
best thing may be to take advantage of all the fed tax credits and
rebates availabe and get a new one. A new one is going to be
significantly more efficient and use less electricity.

Why tell me? The folks I do work for don't have the money to replace
a system. BeeHO hasn't stimulated theirs or my bank account so folks
call on me to repair what they have. It's called survival and making
do with what you got. I had an old fellow call me one day to look at
a Carrier he had bought back in the early 70's. It was the best and most
expensive unit Carrier made for homes at that time. It has stainless
steel hardware, factory sight glass, high and low pressure controls,
anti short cycle timer and a temperature controlled two speed condenser
fan. The condenser fan motor burned out and an HVAC company told him
he needed a new system. I took a look at his old Rolls Royce of an AC
and told him "Don't you dare get rid of this system!". I replaced the
two speed condenser fan motor and the system goes into low speed mode
at night and thanks to an insulating blanket over the compressor, it
barely makes a sound in quiet mode. His neighbors all around him have
newer AC units that sound like airplanes taking off. The repair bill
was quite a bit less than the $8,000 the other guys wanted.

TDD
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,misc.consumers.house

And, that's the state of the economy. We're headed into a
depression to make 1929 look like party week at the frat
house. I get plenty of chances to rescue older equipment. I
regularly work on R-12 equipment that dates back to before
the freon boondoggle.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"The Daring Dufas" wrote
in message ...

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,misc.consumers.house

wrote:
brassplyer wrote:
[...]

We can't help it if you don't charge enough.

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.hvac,misc.consumers.house

wrote:
brassplyer wrote:
[...]

I just hope I have some change left when the Commiecrats are finally
voted out of office. *snicker*

TDD