Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Buy major appliances online?

I've decided to replace my 50-year-old electric coil range with a
nice smoothtop (GE's JB700DN).

It looks like I can save $30-60 by buying from an online retailer
like AJMadison versus the local Lowe's and Sears, but is it a good
idea? Are there any non-obvious pitfalls I should be aware of?

Thanks!

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Stan Brown wrote:

It looks like I can save $30-60 by buying from an online retailer
like AJMadison versus the local Lowe's and Sears, but is it a good
idea? Are there any non-obvious pitfalls I should be aware of?

I've purchased washer/dryers online with no problems. Inspect closely for
physical damage on delivery of course.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

In t Stan Brown
wrote:

I've decided to replace my 50-year-old electric coil range with a
nice smoothtop (GE's JB700DN).

It looks like I can save $30-60 by buying from an online retailer
like AJMadison versus the local Lowe's and Sears, but is it a good
idea? Are there any non-obvious pitfalls I should be aware of?

Depends on what you think are obvious.

Undeteced damage during shipping is a potential problem.
Returning a damaged item might be complicated.
Sometimes, the recipient (you) is expected to offload large items
delivered by truck while the driver stands by and watches.
Around here, appliance stores include delivery, (simple) installation
and hauling away the old unit in the price.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Posted to misc.consumers.house

Tue, 26 Jan 2010 22:04:14 -0500 from Stan Brown
:

I've decided to replace my 50-year-old electric coil range with a
nice smoothtop (GE's JB700DN).

It looks like I can save $30-60 by buying from an online retailer
like AJMadison versus the local Lowe's and Sears, but is it a good
idea? Are there any non-obvious pitfalls I should be aware of?

Thanks to those who responded.

The advice to negotiate was dead on. Lowe's gave a 10% discount from
the advertised $799 price with little demur, and that matches the
lowest Internet price I found. Lowe's has free delivery and haul-
away.

Installation from the seller was not in the cards anyway. This one
replaces a 50-year-old slide-in, so a little bit of carpentry will be
required. I'll also most likely need an outlet created, and probably
(I haven't checked yet) a new 240V/40A circuit to replace the
existing circuit.

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...