Posted to misc.consumers.house
Bert Hyman Bert Hyman is offline

Default Buy major appliances online?

In t Stan Brown
wrote:

I've decided to replace my 50-year-old electric coil range with a
nice smoothtop (GE's JB700DN).

It looks like I can save $30-60 by buying from an online retailer
like AJMadison versus the local Lowe's and Sears, but is it a good
idea? Are there any non-obvious pitfalls I should be aware of?

Depends on what you think are obvious.

Undeteced damage during shipping is a potential problem.
Returning a damaged item might be complicated.
Sometimes, the recipient (you) is expected to offload large items
delivered by truck while the driver stands by and watches.
Around here, appliance stores include delivery, (simple) installation
and hauling away the old unit in the price.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN