Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Rats in garage, they won't touch peanut butter bait

We have a atleast 2 rats that have made our garage a home to escape
the cold and rainy winter nights here in N. California. I've seen them
myself several times during the day.
I bought some enclosed mouse traps. I thought the hole for them to
crawl in could be a bit too small, but I learned that rats and mice
can crawl through any hole that their head fits in (body will compress
to fit).
I baited the traps with peanut butter (which everyone seems to
recommend) and left them in the paths where I have seen these rats.
The traps were out for days, where they weren't even touched, moved or
triggered.
Then I tried putting a smear of peanut butter outside of the traps and
the rats never even touched it.
I then noticed the peanut butter I used was a light peanut butter with
added corn syrup, but if anything a sweet peanut butter should be even
more tempting for them.
Looking for some advice.
Thanks
Posted to misc.consumers.house

In article ,
techman41973 wrote:
[...]

I had a rat that stole nearly half a box of Milk-Bone dog biscuits before
getting caught (I was wondering why the box was so low). Try a few pieces
of those, fresh pecans, pretzels, corn chips, perhaps some cheese.

Personally, I'm using D-Con poison baits. Seems to be more effective than
traps, and don't have to be reset.

Gary

--
Gary Heston http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
"Where large, expensive pieces of exotic woods are converted to valueless,
Posted to misc.consumers.house

[...]

Biggest problem is likely that you're using the wrong kind of trap. To catch
rats, you don't use a mouse trap. Rats are an order of magnitude bigger than
mice. You need a rat trap. Get one of these:
http://www.victorpest.com/store/rodent-control/m201

Bait it with a prune.
Posted to misc.consumers.house

techman41973 wrote:
[...]

Last rat I got was using a real rat trap and a cranberry raisen. Raisens work,
any kind of meat works.