Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Garage door question - Help

Hi,

Can someone answer a simple question regarding a swing up/down type
garage door, does one shorten or lengthen the spring path if the door is
unbalanced and falls downward? Right now it balances at a height of 5
feet (should be 3 ft) but because of the threaded U-bolts onto which the
springs are attached at the bottom I've about run out of thread if the
path needs to be shortened, I'd have to move the entire bracket(s) down
a couple of inches, a time-consuming task. I haven't been able to
figure out if this needs to be done. Moving the nuts on the U-bolt is
very time-consuming so trial and error can easily take a few hours. My
intent is to move the balance point about 3 feet above ground level.

TIA
--
The Guy