Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

Default Today's pet peeve

When you dial a phone number that's long distance but you don't dial 1
first, you get that really obnoxious high-pitched squeal before
getting the recording. It's been that way forever. Why is that
squealing sound necessary?

--

For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life,
please press three.

....Alice Kahn
Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

In article ,
Steve wrote:
When you dial a phone number that's long distance but you don't dial 1
first, you get that really obnoxious high-pitched squeal before
getting the recording. It's been that way forever. Why is that
squealing sound necessary?

Probably a large dose of "thats the way we have always done it".

Its actually 3 tones. I don't recall the frequencies or durations,
google could probably find them for you. Its called SIT (Special
Information Tones) and its used by automatic callers to know they have
reached a bad number.

--
Rich Greenberg N Ft Myers, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 239 543 1353
Canines:Val, Red, Shasta & Casey (RIP), Red & Zero, Siberians Owner:Chinook-L
Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

Rich Greenberg wrote:
In article ,
Steve wrote:
When you dial a phone number that's long distance but you don't dial
1 first, you get that really obnoxious high-pitched squeal before
getting the recording. It's been that way forever. Why is that
squealing sound necessary?

Probably a large dose of "thats the way we have always done it".

Its actually 3 tones. I don't recall the frequencies or durations,
google could probably find them for you. Its called SIT (Special
Information Tones) and its used by automatic callers to know they have
reached a bad number.

I used that tone (wav.sit) on my answering machine before the do-not-call list
thing to get rid of junk calls. Supposedly, the auto callers remove that number
from their list if they hear it. The junk calls to my phone definately went down
after a few months.

Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

On Apr 18, 2:02*pm, Steve wrote:
When you dial a phone number that's long distance but you don't dial 1
first, you get that really obnoxious high-pitched squeal before
getting the recording. *It's been that way forever. Why is that
squealing sound necessary?

--

For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life,
please press three.

...Alice Kahn

I havnt used a Dial Phone for years.
Posted to misc.consumers,misc.consumers.house

On Apr 20, 12:50*pm, "Bob F" wrote:
Rich Greenberg wrote:
In article ,
Steve wrote:
When you dial a phone number that's long distance but you don't dial
1 first, you get that really obnoxious high-pitched squeal before
getting the recording. *It's been that way forever. Why is that
squealing sound necessary?

Probably a large dose of "thats the way we have always done it".

Its actually 3 tones. *I don't recall the frequencies or durations,
google could probably find them for you. *Its called SIT (Special
Information Tones) and its used by automatic callers to know they have
reached a bad number.

I used that tone (wav.sit) on my answering machine before the do-not-call list
thing to get rid of junk calls. Supposedly, the auto callers remove that number
from their list if they hear it. The junk calls to my phone definately went down
after a few months.

What an ingenious idea - too bad it's almost not needed now. Didn't
it confuse your friends tho?

Catalogs - pet peeve Oppie[_6_] Electronic Schematics 35 March 15th 09 05:17 PM
today's weird ad Sam E Home Repair 1 October 23rd 07 03:04 AM
Today's top tips Keith UK diy 19 April 25th 07 09:51 PM
Today's thought DJ Delorie Woodworking 13 December 11th 06 05:40 PM
Today's URLs Gigi Home Ownership 0 August 12th 05 07:33 PM