Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Sump Pump over flowed !!Help!!

Hi,

My sump pump's switch failed on Saturday causing the sump hole to
overflow into the hall outside where the pump is as well as leek about
2 feet into the living room next to the sump hole. I believe the
overflow started after 12 noon on Saturday, I caught it around 3pm
when i noticed the hallway carpet wet and was able to start the pump
back up.. The pump was able to get most of the water undercontrol
about a inch deep around the pump and out to the hall carpet. The
remaining water on the carpet i used a carpet cleaner to suck up as
much of the water off the carpet as possible and am using lots of fans
to help dry the carpet. The carpet plus underpad was wet for about 6
hours and damp now for 24hours and still damp enought to get the socks
a little wet. I've also had the ac going to keep the temperature down
and air dry at 65F.

My question, is the carpet and underpad going to be ok or should I
give up and tear up the carpet?

If i leave the carpet and it starts to smell like mildew is their
anything i can do to save the carpet?

If i have to remove the carpet what is a good flooring for a basement
and what shoudl i do to prep the cement to get rid of any smells?

Also I've already replaced the sump pump, have a water powered backup
pump on order, and also ordered a water sensor with autodialer and
audiable alarm.

Thanks for any advice

Curt
Posted to misc.consumers.house

**update

Well from the reading i did I've pulled back the carpet and removed
most of the wet underpad. It was still very very wet and even after
using a carpet cleaner on it for hours.. I've also raised the carpet
i pulled back on paint cans with fans blowing under the carpet. I'm
not sure if this will save the carpet or not.. Also the underpad was
just a little damp further into the room but i couldn't pull back the
carpet any more because of the furnature has no place else to go. I'm
not sure exactly what I'm going to do yet.. I guess I will see how it
looks tomorrow..
Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Jun 30, 1:27*am, wrote:
**update

Well from the reading i did I've pulled back the carpet and removed
most of the wet underpad. *It was still very very wet and even after
using a carpet cleaner on it for hours.. *I've also raised the carpet
i pulled back on paint cans with fans blowing under the carpet. *I'm
not sure if this will save the carpet or not.. * Also the underpad was
just a little damp further into the room but i couldn't pull back the
carpet any more because of the furnature has no place else to go. *I'm
not sure exactly what I'm going to do yet.. I guess I will see how it
looks tomorrow..

Basements are high risk for carpet, are you running a dehumidifier

Sump Pump Clunk After Backup Pump Install [email protected] Home Repair 6 April 19th 07 05:18 PM
Sump pump float switch: separate from pump? Marc_G Home Repair 4 January 15th 06 09:46 PM
Sump pump? Terry Carroll Home Repair 4 October 24th 04 11:47 PM
Sump Pump vs. No Sump Pump (Questions) BroJack Home Repair 4 September 5th 04 06:56 PM
Specify/Install Sump Pit and Sump Pump Puddin' Man Home Repair 4 November 26th 03 03:59 PM