Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default brick fireplace wall crumbling?

We have a brick wall with a fireplace in the mid-atlantic region.
Although
we haven't used the fireplace recently, I notice a small amount of
cement dust
falling on the mantle. yet the wall looks intact. Any idea what could
cause this
or what needs to be done?

Thanks
Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Jan 18, 2:02 pm, sammy wrote:
We have a brick wall with a fireplace in the mid-atlantic region.
Although
we haven't used the fireplace recently, I notice a small amount of
cement dust
falling on the mantle. yet the wall looks intact. Any idea what could
cause this
or what needs to be done?

Thanks

Nothing unusual in that. Perhaps recent rain has disturbed loose
flakes in the mortar joints etc.. However if you are going to use the
fire and there are rooms above the fireplace you might want to use a
'smoke bomb' to check that there is nothing leaking into those rooms
from the flue.

We use to install a system here in the UK called 'Insa-Flu' (don't
know if its still about?) But it involved positioning a long 6"
diameter inflatable tube down from the top the flue to the fireplace.
This was held in the centrally withing the flue by spacing clamps.
When positoned the tube was inflated and 'Vermiculite Concrete' was
poured into the space between the tube and the walls of the flue. When
the Vermiculite had set the tube was then 'deflated' removed and used
on the next job. Result, a new Vermiculite flue lining which would
last for years.
Hope this in of some help.
Kind regards
Joe

Brick a fireplace [email protected] Home Repair 2 June 14th 06 02:35 PM
crumbling brickwork on fireplace dale hammond UK diy 3 May 28th 05 04:14 PM
painting a brick fireplace J.B. Bobbitt Home Repair 10 November 19th 04 02:57 AM
Exposed Brick Fireplace Richard UK diy 3 September 5th 04 10:04 PM
Crumbling brick steps John T. Howard Home Repair 4 January 20th 04 07:55 PM