Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Please identify this weed in our lawn!!

http://aycu36.webshots.com/image/303...3099253_rs.jpg

http://aycu14.webshots.com/image/326...2998612_rs.jpg

We found above lawn-looking THING in our garden for awhile now and we
are tired of picking it out and putting new seed on.

Can somebody please identify what this is and recommand me what weed-
control chemicals I can use to kill just these instead of normal
lawns
surrounding it?

THANKS A LOT!

Jae

Posted to misc.consumers.house
WDS WDS is offline

On Oct 24, 4:42 pm, " wrote:
http://aycu36.webshots.com/image/303...3099253_rs.jpg

http://aycu14.webshots.com/image/326...2998612_rs.jpg

We found above lawn-looking THING in our garden for awhile now and we
are tired of picking it out and putting new seed on.

Can somebody please identify what this is and recommand me what weed-
control chemicals I can use to kill just these instead of normal
lawns
surrounding it?

That looks like crab grass. If you pull out a clump does it look like
this?

http://www.meredithsuewillis.com/images/crabgrass.jpg

If so, the best way to control it is just pull out the clumps when the
ground is moist. They come out quite easily. Crab grass is an annual
so next spring use a pre-emergent grab grass preventer/fertilizer. Be
sure to use it early because if the temperature hits a certain point
the seeds germinate and it is too late.

There are sprays for it but they've never worked well for me.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Oct 24, 2:42 pm, " wrote:
http://aycu36.webshots.com/image/303...3099253_rs.jpg

http://aycu14.webshots.com/image/326...2998612_rs.jpg

We found above lawn-looking THING in our garden for awhile now and we
are tired of picking it out and putting new seed on.

Can somebody please identify what this is and recommand me what weed-
control chemicals I can use to kill just these instead of normal
lawns
surrounding it?

THANKS A LOT!

Jae

I'm assuming the broadleaf grass is the problem grass, yes?
Looks a lot like good old St. Augustine. Do you live in the southern
tier of states.

If it is SA, it's a ground cover that a lot of people use in the south
because it is hardy and dominant. I also called it ugly and a water
sucker, among other things. SA spreads by runners close to the
ground. If you pull it, you have to pull it all, even the ends of the
runners.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 14:42:10 -0700, "
wrote:

http://aycu36.webshots.com/image/303...3099253_rs.jpg

http://aycu14.webshots.com/image/326...2998612_rs.jpg

We found above lawn-looking THING in our garden for awhile now and we
are tired of picking it out and putting new seed on.

Can somebody please identify what this is and recommand me what weed-
control chemicals I can use to kill just these instead of normal
lawns
surrounding it?

THANKS A LOT!

Jae

You didnt say what part of the country you're from, but that looks
like plain ol'Tall Fescue. Its a clumping grass and in a blue grass
lawn it looks terrible. Not much you can do except dig it out by hand
(lots of work), or spray it with a general herbicide such as Round Up
and reseed the spots next year. Round Up will kill the rest of the
lawn too so be careful.

-dickm

fall lawn care for "newly" seeded lawn jIM Home Repair 5 September 23rd 06 04:12 AM
weed wacker Sacramento Dave Home Repair 5 May 13th 06 02:13 PM
OT weed eaters Karl Vorwerk Metalworking 34 November 20th 05 05:07 PM
Weed Pots charlie b Woodturning 2 September 17th 05 04:50 AM
Weed -n- Feed EggRaid Home Repair 11 February 27th 05 04:24 AM