Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default assessment question

I own a three level townhouse. I am having a stair lift installed
because I can not use the stairs without pain.

Will the stair lift increase the assessed value of my condo?

thanks

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Jane" wrote in message
ps.com...

I own a three level townhouse. I am having a stair lift installed
because I can not use the stairs without pain.
Will the stair lift increase the assessed value of my condo?

If you do not want to ask the municipal assessment office,
your local newspaper may have a reporter who knows the
rules (through reporting news on the topic, important to
many readers.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message
"Jane" wrote in message
ps.com...

I own a three level townhouse. I am having a stair lift installed
because I can not use the stairs without pain.
Will the stair lift increase the assessed value of my condo?

If you do not want to ask the municipal assessment office,
your local newspaper may have a reporter who knows the
rules (through reporting news on the topic, important to
many readers.)

IANAL, much a Canadian one, but I doubt it. While it is screwed to the wall,
it isn't really part of the permanent structure of the house, like an
elevator or additional bathroom would be. Unless next owner has mobility
problems, they will likely just rip it out, like is commonly done with
wooden porch ramps. And the things are expensive enough, that if you move to
someplace else with stairs, you will likely take it with you.

aem sends....

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Jane" wrote...
I own a three level townhouse. I am having a stair lift installed
because I can not use the stairs without pain.

Will the stair lift increase the assessed value of my condo?

If you need a permit to install it, likely yes. If no permit, the govt will
not know you have it, therefore cannot assess it.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Jul 2, 1:21 pm, Jane wrote:
I own a three level townhouse. I am having a stair lift installed
because I can not use the stairs without pain.

Will the stair lift increase the assessed value of my condo?

thanks

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm not concerned about my
assessment going up for taxes. I know that won't happen because we
are never visited by the town assessor. They simply assess all condos
of this style and size at the same amount.

I want to know if I can deduct the entire cost of the lift as a
medical deduction. According to the IRS I can if it does not increase
the assessed value of my home. I really don't want to pay $300 for an
assessment since that sort of defeats the purpose of the deduction.

While it is custom made for the stairs here, chances are I would sell
it or take it with me since much of it is reusable. For example the
chairs are $600 each. The motor and battery are also standard.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

I was told by a property appraiser here in Florida that if I put an in
ground pool, and it cost me $80,000.00 to put it in, it would NOT increase
my property value.
It would take six or seven years for my house value go from say $250,000.00
to $275,000.00.

He said I would NEVER see the $80,000.00 expense reflected in my house
value.

I would call the IRS, and get some dollar info from them. They will tell
you, or tell you the form you would need.

How much are you talking for the three story lift?
Is it outside, bolted on, or inside the dwelling?
Inside the dwelling can get very pricy...

"Jane" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 2, 1:21 pm, Jane wrote:
[...]

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"Jane" wrote...

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm not concerned about my
assessment going up for taxes. I know that won't happen because we
are never visited by the town assessor. They simply assess all condos
of this style and size at the same amount.

I want to know if I can deduct the entire cost of the lift as a
medical deduction. According to the IRS I can if it does not increase
the assessed value of my home.

Then you answered your own question. If the Assessor doesn't re-assess the
property after the installation, the assessed value does not change.
Regardless of market value, there is only 1 assessed value.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Jul 2, 7:16 pm, "Bill" wrote:
I was told by a property appraiser here in Florida that if I put an in
ground pool, and it cost me $80,000.00 to put it in, it would NOT increase
my property value.
It would take six or seven years for my house value go from say $250,000.00
to $275,000.00.

He said I would NEVER see the $80,000.00 expense reflected in my house
value.

I would call the IRS, and get some dollar info from them. They will tell
you, or tell you the form you would need.

How much are you talking for the three story lift?
Is it outside, bolted on, or inside the dwelling?
Inside the dwelling can get very pricy...

"Jane" wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jul 2, 1:21 pm, Jane wrote:
[...]

It's a stair lift (a chair), not an elevator. An elevator is
considered an enhancement. This is an eyesore.

Cost is about $17,000

H&S Assessment Rod UK diy 11 May 28th 07 05:07 PM
Home Heating Assessment Ross UK diy 41 February 24th 06 10:56 PM
Challenging tax assessment won't hurt home's value Ablang Home Ownership 0 June 10th 05 03:37 AM
Assessment question Caledonia Home Ownership 29 March 26th 05 07:55 PM
Tax Assessment Matt Home Ownership 14 March 16th 05 09:23 PM