Posted to misc.consumers.house
Jane Jane is offline

Default assessment question

On Jul 2, 1:21 pm, Jane wrote:
I own a three level townhouse. I am having a stair lift installed
because I can not use the stairs without pain.

Will the stair lift increase the assessed value of my condo?

thanks

Sorry, I should have mentioned that I'm not concerned about my
assessment going up for taxes. I know that won't happen because we
are never visited by the town assessor. They simply assess all condos
of this style and size at the same amount.

I want to know if I can deduct the entire cost of the lift as a
medical deduction. According to the IRS I can if it does not increase
the assessed value of my home. I really don't want to pay $300 for an
assessment since that sort of defeats the purpose of the deduction.

While it is custom made for the stairs here, chances are I would sell
it or take it with me since much of it is reusable. For example the
chairs are $600 each. The motor and battery are also standard.