Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Root killer to avoid roots getting into the drain

Hi,

I have a large tree in the wetlands behind my house where my sump pump water
gets drained to, Roots from the tree get in and clog the pipe and it is an
annual ritual to clear it using powered snake. I saw a root killer in home
depot which is not safe for sump pump parts and so needs to be applied
where the the waters gets drained. Is that a good solution? How effective
is it? Is there a root killer which is safe for the sump pump and so can be
applied into the sump.

Any advice is appreciated,

TIA
Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Jul 2, 10:57 am, R Kannan wrote:
Hi,

I have a large tree in the wetlands behind my house where my sump pump water
gets drained to, Roots from the tree get in and clog the pipe and it is an
annual ritual to clear it using powered snake. I saw a root killer in home
depot which is not safe for sump pump parts and so needs to be applied
where the the waters gets drained. Is that a good solution? How effective
is it? Is there a root killer which is safe for the sump pump and so can be
applied into the sump.

Any advice is appreciated,

TIA

The last root killer I saw was just a couple pounds of copper sulfate
in a box.
If it's still available you might just be able to pour it into the
pumps discharge pipe and temporarily direct the sump pump out via a
hose so that it gets a day or two to work without being diluted. The
downside is it is not gonna be very good for the wetlands. It really
sounds like you have to re-engineer your discharge piping to do things
right.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

On Jul 2, 7:57 am, R Kannan wrote:
Hi,

I have a large tree in the wetlands behind my house where my sump pump water
gets drained to, Roots from the tree get in and clog the pipe and it is an
annual ritual to clear it using powered snake. I saw a root killer in home
depot which is not safe for sump pump parts and so needs to be applied
where the the waters gets drained. Is that a good solution? How effective
is it? Is there a root killer which is safe for the sump pump and so can be
applied into the sump.

Any advice is appreciated,

TIA

PLEASE try to find a non-chemical solution to your problem. Putting a
little root killer in one spot might not seem like a problem, but with
a few hundred million people doing it, the wetlands you are privileged
to enjoy are getting destroyed. The chemicals kill stuff; that's why
you are considering them. But they will also kill other stuff, and
hang around for a long time.

roots in corrugated drain hose peter Home Repair 5 September 9th 06 05:27 AM
Fly Killer djbj UK diy 18 July 20th 06 08:58 PM
Bug killer PigPOg UK diy 8 June 12th 06 10:44 PM
help: need a killer router bit set Koz Pinlicious Woodworking 4 March 18th 06 06:28 AM
OT - Serial Dog Killer J T Woodworking 4 October 5th 04 03:30 PM