Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair
pj pj is offline

Default Fill a small pool with water from well?

I have a well. I would like to get a small 10' by 30" pool, and fill it
with water from my well. Having a water truck come in is not an option, but
I probably would not even need that method with such a small pool.

How do I go about filling this pool without draining my well? Do I fill it
with a small amount of water each day, until I reach the top? I do NOT want
to compromise my well in any way.

Thanks for answering.
-- pj

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

"pj" wrote in message
I I do NOT want to compromise my well in any way.

That sure says "water truck" to me.

Filling that sized pool entails some risk.

Posted to misc.consumers.house,alt.home.repair

In article , "pj"
wrote:
How do I go about filling this pool without draining my well? Do I fill it
with a small amount of water each day, until I reach the top? I do NOT want
to compromise my well in any way.

If you don't know the capacity of your well and its refresh rate, I'd
consider getting it tested, as that can be good to know in general.
What will basically happen is that the well guy will come out, measure
the distance to the top of the water, and then start running the water,
measuring the flow rate. He'll do this for a couple hours, and tell you
how far down the well was been drawn, and then as it recovers, he'll
measure at various times, to find out how quickly it recovers.

At the very least, you'll know that it is safe to continuously run the
water for however long the well guy ran his flow test, and you'll know
how long to wait between iterations of that.

For example, my well's flow rate is limited by my somewhat wimpy pump to
about 4 gallons per minute, and the well guy drained it for two hours.
So, I know that I can draw 480 gallons at a time with no problem. I'd
have to look at the well report to see how fast that recovers, but my
recollection was that it was fairly quick, maybe an hour. So, to fill a
10' diameter by 30" deep pool, which is about 1500 gallons, I'd know I
could safely do it by doing 1/3 in the morning, 1/3 in the evening, and
1/3 the next morning.

--
--Tim Smith