Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Solar power

Quick but maybe trick question:
My house does not need extra-power supply. a couple oftvs, fridge, 2
computers, washing machine (not on all the time)... etc

Would it be possible to get solar panels to produce enough energy for
the house? if so, are these things stupidly expensive or it is worth
the cost? (I have sun most of the year, including winter)

Thanks.

PA

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"alves" writes:
Would it be possible to get solar panels to produce enough energy for
the house?

How much power solar panels on your roof will be able to produce
depends on how sunny it is in your area, whether your roof has the
right exposure and is free from shadows, and whether there's sufficient
surface area on the roof to install enough panels.

If your location and roof exposure are a good candidate for solar
panels, then your panels will at times be able to produce a goodly
amount of energy, but not enough to provide for all of your energy
needs. You'll have to get the difference from the electric company.
There may actually be specific times at which your panels are producing
more energy than your house needs, in which case the extra gets fed
back into the grid, and they pay you for it. It doesn't make sense for
solar electricity systems to include batteries to store power for
later, since the batteries would make the systems much more expensive
and it thus makes more sense to treat the electrical grid as a big
battery.

if so, are these things stupidly expensive or it is worth
the cost? (I have sun most of the year, including winter)

The last time I checked, they were not terribly cost-effective, and
they probably still aren't, although the time when they will be is
coming closer. They will probably eventually pay for themselves, but
it will take many years. Some relevant articles:

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...244917959.html
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...6/b3970108.htm
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/b...1b13solar.html

--
Help stop the genocide in Darfur!
http://www.genocideintervention.net/
Posted to misc.consumers.house

You'd need to check on your local energy providor.
In certain areas the local utility gives rebates on it.

When its a new system in the area (and they are promoting
it) you might be able to get locked in at a great rate when
sending electricity into the grid. Over the course of a few
years the system can pay for itself depending on your area.
The higher the chargeback fee the faster it'll pay for itself.

alves wrote:
Quick but maybe trick question:
My house does not need extra-power supply. a couple oftvs, fridge, 2
computers, washing machine (not on all the time)... etc

Would it be possible to get solar panels to produce enough energy for
the house? if so, are these things stupidly expensive or it is worth
the cost? (I have sun most of the year, including winter)

Thanks.

PA

Posted to misc.consumers.house

alves wrote:
Quick but maybe trick question:
My house does not need extra-power supply. a couple oftvs, fridge, 2
computers, washing machine (not on all the time)... etc

Would it be possible to get solar panels to produce enough energy for
the house? if so, are these things stupidly expensive or it is worth
the cost? (I have sun most of the year, including winter)

If you're interested in solar energy, you might want to consider solar
water heating. That's a good way to save energy and is less complicated
than trying to power your home's electrical needs by solar.

Thanks.

PA

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"alves" wrote in message
ups.com...
Quick but maybe trick question:
My house does not need extra-power supply. a couple oftvs, fridge, 2
computers, washing machine (not on all the time)... etc

Would it be possible to get solar panels to produce enough energy for
the house? if so, are these things stupidly expensive or it is worth
the cost? (I have sun most of the year, including winter)

Thanks.

PA

Hi PA,
You might want to go to this link and read up on their approach. I think
you need to be in New Jersey for this and your post does not indicate where
you are, so the chances are slim that this can in reality apply to you.
However, it has a good explanation of it.

I installed a south-facing rooftop solar system with these folks a few years
ago at zero cost to me. I pay it off via the energy I produce and the
assigning of the energy commodity credits to them. My current savings month
to month is about 12% over what I was paying to the electric company
beforehand. I pay 2 bills now: one to the electric company for the net
amount I use (my meter goes both backwards in the day and forwards at
night/cloudy), and the other bill to these folks for about 80% of what I
generate. I don't think that they are doing the zero up front cost thing
anymore, they note a nominal up front cost now whatever that means, so I am
glad I did it when I did.

For me this was a no-brainer with these conditions: no cost to me, I pay net
less for electricity month to month, and I did a good thing for the planet.
Tomes

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Tomes wrote:
"alves" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

It makes sense in the peoples republic of NJ because the politicans put
a utility tax on everyone's electric bill, including the poor, to raise
money to pay to subsidize solar. So, if you install it, you can get a
rebate of around two thirds the cost. So, a 45K system only costs you
maybe 15K. If you had to pay the real cost, which of cost in the end
the rest of us are paying, it would never make economic sense. Oh,
and last time I checked the politicians have $100Mil+ of the
alternative energy surcharge money raised sitting in an uncontrolled
checking account, with no controls as to who is spending it or for
what. That is currently under investigation.

Home Depot is pushing BP solar systems. You can get info there. But
be careful. Last time I checked on the BP website, they are pulling
shyster games too. For example, in calculating the payback, they
include the tax write off benefit of a mortgage, assuming that you
finance the cost. But they conveniently never include the interest
cost of the mortgage as an expense, only the tax benefit.

Bottom line, in the real world, it's not cost effective. If you live
in a area where it's subsidized, then it can be.

Solar? Otto Mation (Caroline Freisen) Home Ownership 9 July 13th 06 02:35 AM
Solar Graham Harrison UK diy 115 December 11th 05 11:44 PM
old TI-32 Solar help? Anthony J. Biacco Electronics Repair 0 August 25th 05 11:31 PM