Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Default Sears Kenmore Dryer Drum didn't spin

I just put my wash in the dryer (Sears Model 110.64212200 built by
Whirlpool), cleaned the filter, set the timer, and pressed Start.

I heard the motor start, but something didn't sound right, it was too
smooth. I opened the door, and sure enough, the drum wasn't spinning.
(Normally you can see clothes still moving for a second after the door
opens). There was a "hot" smell, but hopefully that was the heater
element, not a belt. Hmmm. Thinking perhaps I overfilled the dryer, I
emptied everything out and tried again. Same result.

Fearing the worst, I moved the drum slightly by hand, then tried again.
This time the drum spun. I reloaded the machine and it happily dried my
clothes.

So what would cause this to happen? What should I do to prevent it from
happening in the future? The dryer has been relatively trouble free in
its 3.5 years of life.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Jeff Taylor wrote:

Fearing the worst, I moved the drum slightly by hand, then tried again.
This time the drum spun. I reloaded the machine and it happily dried my
clothes.

So what would cause this to happen? What should I do to prevent it from
happening in the future? The dryer has been relatively trouble free in
its 3.5 years of life.

The belt has worn to the point where it slips under load. Belts are cheap and
relatively easy to replace. Do so soon before it breaks...
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

"Rick Blaine" wrote in message
Jeff Taylor wrote:

Fearing the worst, I moved the drum slightly by hand, then tried again.
This time the drum spun. I reloaded the machine and it happily dried my
clothes.

So what would cause this to happen? What should I do to prevent it from
happening in the future? The dryer has been relatively trouble free in
its 3.5 years of life.

The belt has worn to the point where it slips under load. Belts are cheap
and
relatively easy to replace. Do so soon before it breaks...

Also check the rollers. My drum stopped spinning, it turned out the bolts
holding the rollers in place had loosened, and the rollers weren't in place
anymore.

Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house

Jeff Taylor wrote:

[...]

There is a FSP kit to do the belt, idler wheels, & the tensioner/pulley.
Take your model # to any appliance parts store & they will set you
right up. Takes 15-20 minutes to do the job.

Rob
Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
PK PK is offline

"trainfan1" wrote in message
Jeff Taylor wrote:

[...]

The dryer belt was proably 1/3 off the drum pulley giving enough slack for
the motor pulley to turn. When you turned the drum by hand the belt may have
caught and ran itself back onto the motor pulley. Or there's a worn spot on
the belt already.

- The tension of the belt requires adjustment.

- The belt may need to be replaced.

- The motor may have made a small wear mark (groove) in the belt meaning
that it didn't have and will not have the same friction when it stops at
that particular spot - turning the drum by hand will probably make it catch
and the momentum will give it running.

If you don't have time to open the rear and investigate I strongly advise
not leaving your dryer running without you close by.

Regards,
PK

our SEARS Home Improvement/Heating and Cooling experience jumping.genes Home Ownership 5 October 14th 06 04:27 PM
Dryer Drum squab18 Electronics Repair 8 October 2nd 06 03:21 PM
Dealing with drum glides on Montgomery Ward dryer Doc Home Repair 3 September 13th 06 05:13 AM
Kenmore Dryer will not stop running Tom Home Repair 8 August 11th 06 11:31 PM
OT Rant: Sears Parts/Service John Moorhead Woodworking 9 July 8th 05 04:24 AM