Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house
trainfan1 trainfan1 is offline

Default Sears Kenmore Dryer Drum didn't spin

Jeff Taylor wrote:

I just put my wash in the dryer (Sears Model 110.64212200 built by
Whirlpool), cleaned the filter, set the timer, and pressed Start.

I heard the motor start, but something didn't sound right, it was too
smooth. I opened the door, and sure enough, the drum wasn't spinning.
(Normally you can see clothes still moving for a second after the door
opens). There was a "hot" smell, but hopefully that was the heater
element, not a belt. Hmmm. Thinking perhaps I overfilled the dryer, I
emptied everything out and tried again. Same result.

Fearing the worst, I moved the drum slightly by hand, then tried again.
This time the drum spun. I reloaded the machine and it happily dried my
clothes.

So what would cause this to happen? What should I do to prevent it from
happening in the future? The dryer has been relatively trouble free in
its 3.5 years of life.

Thanks!

There is a FSP kit to do the belt, idler wheels, & the tensioner/pulley.
Take your model # to any appliance parts store & they will set you
right up. Takes 15-20 minutes to do the job.

Rob