Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Process for buying a house - Texas

I'm thinking of buying a house in Houston, Texas. Questions are
popping up:

1) One of the staff at the realtor who's selling this
particular house volunteered to represent me "vs"
the selling Realtor. Is this normally done?

2) Is it the usual thing to get a lawyer to represent
me in the home-buying process, or just a Realtor? If so,
where's the best place to go for a recommendation on a
lawyer (since I don't know anyone who can recommend one)?

3) Is there a place on the Net to go for a good primer on this
process (particularly in Texas)?

Posted to misc.consumers.house

writes:

I'm thinking of buying a house in Houston, Texas. Questions are
popping up:

1) One of the staff at the realtor who's selling this
particular house volunteered to represent me "vs"
the selling Realtor. Is this normally done?

Interesting.

Buyers agents aren't uncommon. But using someone from the same office
is suspicious.

Have you actually been shown the house? If so, whomever showed it to
you may end up being your realtor for that house.

2) Is it the usual thing to get a lawyer to represent
me in the home-buying process, or just a Realtor? If so,
where's the best place to go for a recommendation on a
lawyer (since I don't know anyone who can recommend one)?

Usual varies by locale. In Austin, I didn't use a lawyer for our
transaction and it didn't seem all that out of the ordinary. But, in
general, I've always felt better with a lawyer at the closing table
with me because they're paid a flat rate, and I know he's going to
represent my interests and is not paid only if the sale completes.
This is in stark contrast to any realtors sitting at the table with
you. Never forget this when dealing with a buyer's agent. They may
be "your" agent in name, but never ever foget they dont' get paid
unless you buy something (sooner the better).

3) Is there a place on the Net to go for a good primer on this
process (particularly in Texas)?

I got a lot out of a copy of the Homebuyer's Survival Guide in my
first house. It's national in scope though. perhaps there are state
specific ones that are pretty decent. However, if you find a real
estate attorney you like, they should paint the picture for you
nicely.

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

What is best way to drain water away from house and solve leaky basement problem. [email protected] Home Repair 9 August 9th 06 03:49 PM
Pardon Lottery jim rozen Metalworking 37 April 12th 06 05:34 AM
house rebuilt year Djavdet Home Repair 27 February 20th 04 02:50 AM
house rebuilt year Djavdet Home Ownership 21 February 20th 04 02:50 AM