Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Posted to misc.consumers.house
ap ap is offline

Default cold drafts from fireplace

hello all,
I've got a fireplace that I never use in the 1st floor of a 2-floor
home
that has a flue/damper but
appears to let in lots of cold air. I tried to cover up the flue/damper
with a cap
and then tape it, but the cold air is still coming in.

Is there any way to seal this off properly?

The damper/flue (metal) appears to be closed, but feel lots of air
coming in.

Also, is there a good website that shows how to properly insulate
windows. I've
tried this on a previous home, but noticed air still coming in.

Thanks.

Posted to misc.consumers.house

ap wrote:
hello all,
I've got a fireplace that I never use in the 1st floor of a 2-floor
home
that has a flue/damper but
appears to let in lots of cold air. I tried to cover up the flue/damper
with a cap
and then tape it, but the cold air is still coming in.

Is there any way to seal this off properly?

The damper/flue (metal) appears to be closed, but feel lots of air
coming in.

Also, is there a good website that shows how to properly insulate
windows. I've
tried this on a previous home, but noticed air still coming in.

Thanks.

If you can get to the chimney top, this is one
effective solution:

http://www.northlineexpress.com/deta...~5CO-12108.asp

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"ap" wrote in message
ups.com...

I've got a fireplace that I never use in the 1st floor of a 2-floor
home that has a flue/damper but
appears to let in lots of cold air. I tried to cover up the flue/damper
with a cap and then tape it, but the cold air is still coming in.

Is there any way to seal this off properly?

Just block the fireplace with an ornamental
panel that is thickly insulated and fits tight
at all edges.

Also, is there a good website that shows how to properly insulate
windows. I've tried this on a previous home, but noticed air still coming

in.

Caulking (outside) blocks draughts round the edges of
the window glass or window frame. If you feel the glass
transmits cold, all you can do is cover the winndow with
lined or insulated curtains.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Posted to misc.consumers.house

"ap" wrote:

this is not easy to do as it's a 2-story house and we are not
handy types.

There are glass fireplace doors that will prevent air infiltration. They aren't
cheap, usually require semi-pro installation and do not take the place of
insulation though...
Posted to misc.consumers.house

"ap" wrote in message
ups.com...
hello all,
I've got a fireplace that I never use in the 1st floor of a 2-floor
home
that has a flue/damper but
appears to let in lots of cold air. I tried to cover up the flue/damper
with a cap
and then tape it, but the cold air is still coming in.

Is there any way to seal this off properly?

The damper/flue (metal) appears to be closed, but feel lots of air
coming in.

Also, is there a good website that shows how to properly insulate
windows. I've
tried this on a previous home, but noticed air still coming in.

Thanks.

IIRC, a similar question came up within the last year or two. The answer
was a product that was like a special balloon, designed to inflate inside
the flue to block it off. It could be deflated and re-used. Also, the
material melted easily so if you lit a fire with it in place you wouldn't
fumigate your house.